Thread: Go from a AVR receiver to a 2 channel receiver for 2.1?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Go from a AVR receiver to a 2 channel receiver for 2.1?

I posted this on the avs forum as well but would probably be better suited here since we all have Ascend speakers.

I’m running a 2.1 system (Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2’s and a JL Audio e112 powered by a Yamaha RXA 1030) I have had the speakers for about 3.5 years now and I have really enjoyed them. They still make me smile every time I get a chance to actually sit down and listen to some music. Ive got little ones that are BUSY and my free time comes in 5 minute increments about once a day. lol

I started with the Yamaha AVR a few years ago due to the lack of a 2 channel receiver with bass management and digital inputs, or at least I couldn't find one at the time.

I’m probably a 50/50 mix of music and movies.

Would I be crazy to go to the new Outlaw RR2160? Would there be any appreciable sound difference? I use the YPAO room correction and only run it in 2 channel stereo or straight. I realize I would lose all of the room correction software.

The system sounds really nice, but I have the itch to go to a more simplified 2 channel receiver. With the RR2160 I can still take advantage of my other components since it has digital inputs for sound. It also has bass management so I can still cross over to the sub.

Would I be making a lateral/negative move? Would there be anything to really gain from making a switch like this?

I know the best option is to trial the Outlaw, but just wanted some other opinions as well.

I wont be expanding to anything bigger/more speakers. I barely got this approved. lol
    Last edited by diesel79; 12-01-2017 at 11:38 AM.