Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra RAAL Tower Vs Aperion Verus II Grand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sierra RAAL Tower Vs Aperion Verus II Grand

Im looking to purchase a 5.1 system for mostly home theater with separate subs crossed at 80Hz.
    Anyone have any experience or insight between the main channels and center speaker?
    Im in Australia, so cant test the systems before buying.
    If I was to get Ascend, it would have to be with RAAL upgrade.
    Does Ascend do any specials for Black Friday or any other sales?
    Aperion has 30% off, so getting Verus II Grand Towers, Center and 2 Bookshelf (in Gloss Cherry) ends up being $2,769.
    RAAL towers, Horizon RAAL center and 2 Lunas (in Satin Espresso) ends up being $5,248.
    Is it worth almost double the price?
    I wasnt even considering Aperion, but the sale seems quite attractive.
    I need to add shipping as well (hopefully domestic shipping is part of the price and can be deducted).
    All opinions appreciated.
    Last edited by MaxTemp; 11-22-2017 at 05:35 AM.

Default Re: Sierra RAAL Tower Vs Aperion Verus II Grand

Here's a thread that started out comparing center speakers and journeyed to comparing the Sierra and Aperion towers. It may help you decide. The link should take you to the section where the Sierra towers arrive at his house.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post36249562

Personally I've never heard the Aperions but I do own the RAAL Sierra towers and Horizon and love them. So I can't say whether the Sierras are worth twice the price. I know for me that would be a tough pill to swallow without being able to hear both before purchasing.

Good luck with your decision.
    Jack

Thanks Jack. I had read that thread a while ago when I became interested in Ascend.
    I did refresh my memory after you sent the link

You're welcome. That thread introduced me to Ascend and I'm glad I happened to find it when I did.

From specs and users experiences overall no doubt indicate the Ascend products are superior.
    But are there any good deals or discounts they offer during Black Friday or in general?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTemp View Post
    From specs and users experiences overall no doubt indicate the Ascend products are superior.
    But are there any good deals or discounts they offer during Black Friday or in general?
    You may not be on the mailing list...

Did you see this?

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...8199#post58199
    -curtis

Both are very good speakers, but the Sierra with the Raal ribbon tweeter is a step above. A few years ago I compared the Sierra 2 and the Verus Grand I towers in my room. Aperion was running a heck of a deal at the time, where the towers were less than the Sierra 2s in price. Anyways, both have good uniform dispersion where you don't have to worry hardly at all about toeing them in, though the Sierra 2s are a step above the Aperion's if you were to measure them. Both are detailed and could delineate instruments quite well (rather than smearing of them together like with lesser speakers). The Sierra 2's were surprising in the depth (into the room) of the soundstage and the width and height were also good. But, the Verus Grand's soundstage was much wider and taller though. I don't think that they are as accurate in this regard as the Sierra 2s, from what Dave has said. He has mentioned how it is not difficult to make a huge soundstage, but he is going for an accurate sized one.

It is hard to describe, but while I could hear similar detail and delineation from either the Verus Grands or the Sierra 2s, the Sierra 2s had this extra level of clarity that the Verus Grands were missing. It has to be related to the superior transient response in the Sierra 2s. They can just start and stop, quicker and you don't get this subtle yet unmistakable lack of additional stuff being played from them. Even though I was going to spend a little bit more money on a bookshelf speaker over a tower speaker, I had no doubt in my mind that the Sierra 2s were the better choice for me. So the Verus Grands went back.

I urge you to do the comparison yourself if you can take advantage of the free shipping Aperion gives both ways. I'm fairly certain that you would be sending them back and keeping the Ascend speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack1949 View Post
    Here's a thread that started out comparing center speakers and journeyed to comparing the Sierra and Aperion towers. It may help you decide. The link should take you to the section where the Sierra towers arrive at his house.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post36249562

Personally I've never heard the Aperions but I do own the RAAL Sierra towers and Horizon and love them. So I can't say whether the Sierras are worth twice the price. I know for me that would be a tough pill to swallow without being able to hear both before purchasing.

Good luck with your decision.
    Jack
    It always makes me smile when that thread helps someone trying to make the same decision I was. I still have zero regrets about my Sierra tower/horizon purchase.. I even added some Sierra 2 surrounds for good measure!

Last night was another reminder of how much I enjoy these speakers. I had just added a couple of PB13 subs to the media room and decided to redo the front stage completely. I ended up with the towers sitting 11 ft. apart with some mild toe-in and the main chair is around 7 ft. away.

I was concerned about them being so far apart while sitting so close (difficult room) and decided to sit and listen to a few songs in 2.1. A few songs turned into a few more and 3 hours later I noticed the time.. yikes!

Even with the speakers so far apart.. a center image just snapped into place. I heard sounds overhead, sounds off to the sides.. it was great!

Did I mention how much I like these speakers?

For anyone still on the fence about Ascend.. do yourself a favor and try them!

I bet you won't regret it.

Just out of curiosity, I know running Luna's in surround is nice, but completely overkill unless you're listening to multi-channel audio. I believe Dave uses the HTM-200's as surrounds in his listening room. In movies, surround sound is only used for ambient sounds, and special effects. As long as the speakers are voice matched, which all the Ascend speakers are, then you'll have the same immersive experience. Also, again for primarily HT use, you'll be fine with the Sierra-2 vs the Sierra Towers w RAAL unless you need more db's or want a little more quality in the midrange. Stereo music is where you'll notice the bigger difference between the Sierra 2's vs the towers. As for me, for my HT, I went with Sierra-1 NrT's for my mains, Horizon RAAL for my center (this is where the bulk of the work is done, dialog), Rythmik FVHP15 sub, and some paradigm bi-polars in the rear. I couldn't waste the Luna's and have them in my office, and my Sierra-2 are in my dedicated 2.1 stereo system in the bedroom. I'm planning on upgrading the Sierra-2 to Sierra Towers and now that I know that Dave is raising is prices... now is that time

Quote Originally Posted by crazycuz2k View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I know running Luna's in surround is nice, but completely overkill unless you're listening to multi-channel audio. I believe Dave uses the HTM-200's as surrounds in his listening room. In movies, surround sound is only used for ambient sounds, and special effects. As long as the speakers are voice matched, which all the Ascend speakers are, then you'll have the same immersive experience. Also, again for primarily HT use, you'll be fine with the Sierra-2 vs the Sierra Towers w RAAL unless you need more db's or want a little more quality in the midrange. Stereo music is where you'll notice the bigger difference between the Sierra 2's vs the towers. As for me, for my HT, I went with Sierra-1 NrT's for my mains, Horizon RAAL for my center (this is where the bulk of the work is done, dialog), Rythmik FVHP15 sub, and some paradigm bi-polars in the rear. I couldn't waste the Luna's and have them in my office, and my Sierra-2 are in my dedicated 2.1 stereo system in the bedroom. I'm planning on upgrading the Sierra-2 to Sierra Towers and now that I know that Dave is raising is prices... now is that time
    If I’m understanding you correctly, you have tried the Sierra Luna’s as surround and found them to be overkill for your HT use, so you moved them to an office setup?

I too use my Sierra 2s for a HT setup and I am debating the Lunas for surrounds. I’m pretty much convinced to use HTM 200s for surround backs.