Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
So moving the towers around - a foot in various directions is all i have to play with - doesn't help much. Adding in my old/flabby subwoofer does help a lot of course. I have yet to do an REW sweep but I think you are all right - the null nodes are simply at a higher frequency.

So given that, even with my terrible sub, I am really getting into the sound of the Raal towers in their new room. Sounds fantastic and I have just been sinking in and listening. (I have given up on the living room as it's just acoustically awful - even when people are just talking). I will be replacing the sub with an F12 and likely getting Luna's for surrounds in HT application.

However, I now feel like the towers are simply too large for this small room not only aesthetically but also because the sound is in my face a bit too much. Not sure its quite the same thing as a 'forward' presentation but maybe. My listening position is roughly 7' from the speakers. For both of these reasons, I am strongly considering selling the towers and getting some b-stock Sierra 2's for the front L/R. I have a pair of great stands waiting for them as well I would also be able to apply the difference in price to the sub/lunas.

Am I crazy?? Given that the towers aren't really providing any bass in their current positions I figure I won't lose anything on the sonic level. And I have read in some other posts that the image of the Sierra 2's is a little further back/recessed and so might give me that bit of perceptual sonic space I am looking for between me and the speakers. (and my wife will be much happier with the standmounts ) Again, is this a crazy idea?
Aside from proper reproduction of deep bass - the towers don't require more space than Sierra-2 - in fact, the towers actually have tighter phase integration between the tweeter and woofer, as well as a more linear polar response. Technically speaking, all drivers in the towers will properly sum at 1 meter and greater.

Since you don't actually have Sierra-2 to compare with - my recommendation to you is to simply order a pair to see which you prefer in this new room. I honestly can't recall any customers that have done direct A/B comparisons between the 2 speakers that have preferred the Sierra-2, but everyone has different tastes. Just keep in mind that you have had your towers for a while and I really don't know what you would get for them on the used market. As you are learning - different rooms = different performance so until you are able to actually directly compare Sierra-2 to your towers I recommend against making the assumption you would prefer Sierra-2 in this room - statistical analysis says otherwise...

First step - order a pair of Sierra-2 to make the actual comparisons