Thread: 250 WPC amp with Sierra 2?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 250 WPC amp with Sierra 2?

If anyone is interested, I took some output measurements of my Sierra-2s. You can see it here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...nts-in-my-room

Maybe Dave can chime in on the "extra power" vs "low power" amplifier discussion.

From my understanding, both a 25 watt amp and a 500 watt amp can safely power a speaker when played at a level where neither the amp nor the speaker is being pushed beyond it's limits. Turn the volume up too loud with either amp such that you are over-driving either the speakers or the amp, can damage the speaker. So in other words, take caution when turning the volume up, and if you hear distortion coming from the speakers, turn it down.

p.s. I'm running the XPA-5 with my Sierra-2 and it works just fine. No damage to my speakers. Then again, I don't turn it up super loud and my ears are very sensitive to distortion or any kind of anomaly coming from my system.

Edit: If I remember correctly, there was a Sierra-2 owner who blew out his RAAL tweeters with two different amps. One was a lower powered amp and then he upgraded to a higher power amp and blew out the tweeters again. My memory is a little foggy on that, but I believe I saw it posted here on this forum.
    Last edited by mikesiskav; 10-08-2017 at 10:18 PM.