Thread: HTM-200SE center for CMT-340SE L/R?

Default HTM-200SE center for CMT-340SE L/R?

To set the stage, I have a 5.1 system with CMT-340SE L/C/R and HTM-200SE for surrounds. The HTM-200SE and CMT-340SE center are boxed up due to lack of space. Currently the system is configured as a 2.1, with CMT-340SE L/R and Rythmik E15HP sub.

Now, setting up the CMT-340SE center requires TV elevation to a point where it is uncomfortably high, so will it be a good idea to use HTM-200SE as center channel? Will it work well with CMT-340SE as L and R?

Default Re: HTM-200SE center for CMT-340SE L/R?

The HTM 200s, CBM 170s and CMT 340s should all work well together. The 200s are just in a sealed design that are friendly for on wall placement, or like in your situation where you have a tighter space. The 170s have a bit more output and extension and the 340s have even more output and extension from there. I can't imagine a huge mismatch in voicing from one to the other, even if one is a center and the other is a main speaker. It is my understanding that they are all voiced pretty similarly and use the same tweeter. The biggest difference you would probably have is that the 200s can't match the output of the 340s.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    The HTM 200s, CBM 170s and CMT 340s should all work well together. The 200s are just in a sealed design that are friendly for on wall placement, or like in your situation where you have a tighter space. The 170s have a bit more output and extension and the 340s have even more output and extension from there. I can't imagine a huge mismatch in voicing from one to the other, even if one is a center and the other is a main speaker. It is my understanding that they are all voiced pretty similarly and use the same tweeter. The biggest difference you would probably have is that the 200s can't match the output of the 340s.
    Thanks for your comment, gives me more confidence in trying out this configuration. Hopefully, given my listening habits (normal levels, nowhere near reference), and audyssey room correction, I hope the HTM-200SE won't be a huge mismatch in terms of output.
    Last edited by choombak; 10-03-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added Audyssey

The 340s are about 3dB more efficient and can take 240 Watts continuously vs. 200 Watts continuously looking at the specs page of each. So the 340s can get about 3 or 4 dB more output than the 200s. However, I bet the 200s will run into distortion earlier than the 340s, so maybe you could say 5 or 6 dB more clean output from the 340s.

As long as your aren't more than 10 or 12 feet away from your fronts and mains and/or listening close to reference volume, then you should probably be fine. You should be able to call Ascend and talk with Dave with your specific listening habits and he could tell you for sure though.

What is causing the need for the center channel to be so high that it makes the TV uncomfortable for viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    What is causing the need for the center channel to be so high that it makes the TV uncomfortable for viewing?
    The TV unit (Ikea Hemnes), at 22.5" high. Adding a riser on top of it for CMT-340SE brings up the overall height of the unit to ~32". Combine that with viewing distance of ~10 ft., and the TV is too high for the wife. And I can't argue against it. It will be a while before we replace this TV stand (re-model and all that), so was scouting options till that time. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by choombak View Post
    The TV unit (Ikea Hemnes), at 22.5" high. Adding a riser on top of it for CMT-340SE brings up the overall height of the unit to ~32". Combine that with viewing distance of ~10 ft., and the TV is too high for the wife. And I can't argue against it. It will be a while before we replace this TV stand (re-model and all that), so was scouting options till that time. :-)
    How heavy is the TV? You may just be able to place it on the 340.

My center sits in front of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    How heavy is the TV? You may just be able to place it on the 340.

My center sits in front of the TV.
    ~45 lbs. The stand geometry is awkward (Sony XBR55X810C) making it impossible to place on top of 340.

Audyssey indicates the cross-over for HTM-200SE as center channel at 90 Hz., while CMT-340SE are 60 Hz. Overall the integration is seamless, and I cannot detect any tonal mismatch (at least not for the few YT movie promos I watched). Thanks everyone!