Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Tower speaker help

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Quote Originally Posted by robpar View Post
    Thanks
    I hate subs for music (don't ask why). I have one upstairs for movies (B&W monitors and Sub) and party music...
    I can easily remove the Parasound and move it to another room or use it to drive another set of speakers (which I may)
    I am also looking very heavily into Aperion Verus II Grand Tower (bi-ampeable, similar good reviews, 60 day return, free shipping both ways) so at this point, I'm doing as much research as possible.
    I don't want to order both but I may have to
    Thank you very much
    I won't ask why, and can relate to the sub preference.......until I found Rythmik that is. Most subs did not blend properly and seemed sloppy/sluggish and actually ruined the imaging. Not so with the Rythmik's Direct Servo design. Not sure if you have tried a Rythmik but I highly recommend doing so.
    Ed

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,191

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    FWIW....properly integrated “good” subs should never be detectable.

    If someone doesn’t know I had a sub in my system, they wouldn’t be able to figure it out unless they played some deep material and knew enough about my speakers’ capabilities.

    On another note...get the Aperions and the Ascends and do a comparison. It’s been done before.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Quote Originally Posted by robpar View Post
    I am also looking very heavily into Aperion Verus II Grand Tower (bi-ampeable, similar good reviews, 60 day return, free shipping both ways) so at this point, I'm doing as much research as possible.
    I don't want to order both but I may have to
    Thank you very much
    I encourage you to order both the Aperion and the Ascend speakers to do an in home comparison. I did the same (actually threw SVS in the mix as well). It was enlightening. I could hear the differences that the Ascend Sierra 2s had over the other two and it was worth the extra cost to me. I actually compared the Aperion Verus Grand Towers and still liked the Sierra 2s more. The other two had return shipping, so I didn't lose out any money there.

    That was three years ago and I'm happy that I did the comparison, so that I wouldn't have any doubts.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Thanks guys!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Quote Originally Posted by robpar View Post
    I hate subs for music (don't ask why).
    I've never heard anyone say this who has servo subs. The people who say this typically have conventional subs, which are difficult if not impossible to integrate with their main speakers. Servo subs aren't anything like as difficult to integrate. Mine were startlingly easy. Almost too easy. I didn't have to play with them much at all. And they are ported. Another thing people say is impossible to use for music.

    But I've got a pair of Rythmik LVX12s that work a serious treat with my Sierra 2s. For music. And they kick some tail for HT also. For music it sounds the same as the Sierra 2s alone, except that they mysteriously go an effortless two octaves deeper. No difference in sound quality beyond that.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,627

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Quote Originally Posted by robpar View Post
    Both amps have gain dials to balance them when bi-amping, since I am using the Nad also as a pre-amp I'm using the NAD dial to adjust the gain of the second amp
    I guess, what I am asking is if the Sierra towers would benefit from a similar setup?
    It is important to understand that you are not technically benefitting from bi-amping. What you are doing is simply increasing the amplitude of the bass, similar in respect to turning a bass tone control up higher or adding a bit of EQ to the bass. Nothing wrong with doing this of course, but what you are hearing isn't a benefit of bi-amping.

    That said, as already mentioned - we can easily offer you bi-amp inputs for the towers so that you can do the same as you are doing now. However, you might find that the balance of the bass to the mids to the highs of our towers is such that you might not want to accentuate the bass.

    As others have mentioned, don't compare your other system with a sub to how our towers + sub will sound for music. The vast majority of our customers are very experienced audio purists and when done right - a Rythmik sub becomes completely transparent and you then gain full control of tweaking the bass to however you like it and no tower speaker can compare to how a Rythmik sub produces bass...
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It is important to understand that you are not technically benefitting from bi-amping. What you are doing is simply increasing the amplitude of the bass, similar in respect to turning a bass tone control up higher or adding a bit of EQ to the bass. Nothing wrong with doing this of course, but what you are hearing isn't a benefit of bi-amping.

    That said, as already mentioned - we can easily offer you bi-amp inputs for the towers so that you can do the same as you are doing now. However, you might find that the balance of the bass to the mids to the highs of our towers is such that you might not want to accentuate the bass.

    As others have mentioned, don't compare your other system with a sub to how our towers + sub will sound for music. The vast majority of our customers are very experienced audio purists and when done right - a Rythmik sub becomes completely transparent and you then gain full control of tweaking the bass to however you like it and no tower speaker can compare to how a Rythmik sub produces bass...
    So... are you saying:
    The towers without the sub are comparable to Sierra 2 with Subs?
    I would not see the benefits of bi-amping sierra towers even if I were capable of doing it?

    Thanks!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,627

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Quote Originally Posted by robpar View Post
    So... are you saying:
    The towers without the sub are comparable to Sierra 2 with Subs?
    I would not see the benefits of bi-amping sierra towers even if I were capable of doing it?

    Thanks!
    I don't think you are understanding what is being discussed here. With your current speakers, you are not technically benefitting because of "bi-amping." The bass sounds fuller because you are simply sending more bass to the speakers due to adjusting the gain for the 2nd amp. You can do the exact same thing with our towers if we provide bi-amp inputs for you (there is nothing special about bi-amp inputs) or you can do the exact same thing with a single amp by adjusting a bass tone control, or by adding some bass boost using EQ.

    Maybe others here can better explain?
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I don't think you are understanding what is being discussed here. With your current speakers, you are not technically benefitting because of "bi-amping." The bass sounds fuller because you are simply sending more bass to the speakers due to adjusting the gain for the 2nd amp. You can do the exact same thing with our towers if we provide bi-amp inputs for you (there is nothing special about bi-amp inputs) or you can do the exact same thing with a single amp by adjusting a bass tone control, or by adding some bass boost using EQ.

    Maybe others here can better explain?
    You could say that what you're doing with your bi-amped setup is a fancy form of EQ. You are effectively boosting the bass signal so it's fuller.
    Ed

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Tower speaker help

    As a follow up, I know there a lot of misinformation regarding bi amping but here is one article that is interesting:

    https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/blog/20...tion-benefits/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •