Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tower speaker help

Default Re: Tower speaker help

Quote Originally Posted by robpar View Post
    Thanks
    I hate subs for music (don't ask why). I have one upstairs for movies (B&W monitors and Sub) and party music...
    I can easily remove the Parasound and move it to another room or use it to drive another set of speakers (which I may)
    I am also looking very heavily into Aperion Verus II Grand Tower (bi-ampeable, similar good reviews, 60 day return, free shipping both ways) so at this point, I'm doing as much research as possible.
    I don't want to order both but I may have to
    Thank you very much
    I won't ask why, and can relate to the sub preference.......until I found Rythmik that is. Most subs did not blend properly and seemed sloppy/sluggish and actually ruined the imaging. Not so with the Rythmik's Direct Servo design. Not sure if you have tried a Rythmik but I highly recommend doing so.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

FWIW....properly integrated “good” subs should never be detectable.

If someone doesn’t know I had a sub in my system, they wouldn’t be able to figure it out unless they played some deep material and knew enough about my speakers’ capabilities.

On another note...get the Aperions and the Ascends and do a comparison. It’s been done before.

I am also looking very heavily into Aperion Verus II Grand Tower (bi-ampeable, similar good reviews, 60 day return, free shipping both ways) so at this point, I'm doing as much research as possible.
    I don't want to order both but I may have to
    Thank you very much
    I encourage you to order both the Aperion and the Ascend speakers to do an in home comparison. I did the same (actually threw SVS in the mix as well). It was enlightening. I could hear the differences that the Ascend Sierra 2s had over the other two and it was worth the extra cost to me. I actually compared the Aperion Verus Grand Towers and still liked the Sierra 2s more. The other two had return shipping, so I didn't lose out any money there.

That was three years ago and I'm happy that I did the comparison, so that I wouldn't have any doubts.

Thanks guys!

I hate subs for music (don't ask why).
    I've never heard anyone say this who has servo subs. The people who say this typically have conventional subs, which are difficult if not impossible to integrate with their main speakers. Servo subs aren't anything like as difficult to integrate. Mine were startlingly easy. Almost too easy. I didn't have to play with them much at all. And they are ported. Another thing people say is impossible to use for music.

But I've got a pair of Rythmik LVX12s that work a serious treat with my Sierra 2s. For music. And they kick some tail for HT also. For music it sounds the same as the Sierra 2s alone, except that they mysteriously go an effortless two octaves deeper. No difference in sound quality beyond that.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Both amps have gain dials to balance them when bi-amping, since I am using the Nad also as a pre-amp I'm using the NAD dial to adjust the gain of the second amp
    I guess, what I am asking is if the Sierra towers would benefit from a similar setup?
    It is important to understand that you are not technically benefitting from bi-amping. What you are doing is simply increasing the amplitude of the bass, similar in respect to turning a bass tone control up higher or adding a bit of EQ to the bass. Nothing wrong with doing this of course, but what you are hearing isn't a benefit of bi-amping.

That said, as already mentioned - we can easily offer you bi-amp inputs for the towers so that you can do the same as you are doing now. However, you might find that the balance of the bass to the mids to the highs of our towers is such that you might not want to accentuate the bass.

As others have mentioned, don't compare your other system with a sub to how our towers + sub will sound for music. The vast majority of our customers are very experienced audio purists and when done right - a Rythmik sub becomes completely transparent and you then gain full control of tweaking the bass to however you like it and no tower speaker can compare to how a Rythmik sub produces bass...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It is important to understand that you are not technically benefitting from bi-amping. What you are doing is simply increasing the amplitude of the bass, similar in respect to turning a bass tone control up higher or adding a bit of EQ to the bass. Nothing wrong with doing this of course, but what you are hearing isn't a benefit of bi-amping.

That said, as already mentioned - we can easily offer you bi-amp inputs for the towers so that you can do the same as you are doing now. However, you might find that the balance of the bass to the mids to the highs of our towers is such that you might not want to accentuate the bass.

As others have mentioned, don't compare your other system with a sub to how our towers + sub will sound for music. The vast majority of our customers are very experienced audio purists and when done right - a Rythmik sub becomes completely transparent and you then gain full control of tweaking the bass to however you like it and no tower speaker can compare to how a Rythmik sub produces bass...
    So... are you saying:
    The towers without the sub are comparable to Sierra 2 with Subs?
    I would not see the benefits of bi-amping sierra towers even if I were capable of doing it?

Thanks!

So... are you saying:
    The towers without the sub are comparable to Sierra 2 with Subs?
    I would not see the benefits of bi-amping sierra towers even if I were capable of doing it?

Thanks!
    I don't think you are understanding what is being discussed here. With your current speakers, you are not technically benefitting because of "bi-amping." The bass sounds fuller because you are simply sending more bass to the speakers due to adjusting the gain for the 2nd amp. You can do the exact same thing with our towers if we provide bi-amp inputs for you (there is nothing special about bi-amp inputs) or you can do the exact same thing with a single amp by adjusting a bass tone control, or by adding some bass boost using EQ.

Maybe others here can better explain?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I don't think you are understanding what is being discussed here. With your current speakers, you are not technically benefitting because of "bi-amping." The bass sounds fuller because you are simply sending more bass to the speakers due to adjusting the gain for the 2nd amp. You can do the exact same thing with our towers if we provide bi-amp inputs for you (there is nothing special about bi-amp inputs) or you can do the exact same thing with a single amp by adjusting a bass tone control, or by adding some bass boost using EQ.

Maybe others here can better explain?
    You could say that what you're doing with your bi-amped setup is a fancy form of EQ. You are effectively boosting the bass signal so it's fuller.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

As a follow up, I know there a lot of misinformation regarding bi amping but here is one article that is interesting:

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/blog/20...tion-benefits/