Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: audyssey multeq xt32 is Killing Me and my Sierra-2s! Turning it OFF!

Default Re: audyssey multeq xt32 is Killing Me and my Sierra-2s! Turning it OFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Audyssey, including X32, is fairly well known for setting up a nice flat frequency response. If you're listening at reference volumes. Which hardly anyone does (I usually max out at -10 if wife is out of the house, and -20 if she's watching with me). If you're listening at less than reference, the Robinson-Dadson curves show you what's happening to your highs and lows -- that is, how your ears deal with the highs and lows as they get softer. This is probably why you're hearing your sound as deficient at high and low ends. Turn it up, this problem goes away.

This is perhaps why so many people running Audyssey with sub(s) tend to run Audyssey, then tweak the settings (making all the speakers xover at 80 Hz for example, and turning up the sub levels in the +3 dB to +6 dB range. This is "running the subs hot" as it's called.
    Can't you turn on Dynamic EQ to help with this issue, so that you don't have to turn up the LFE channel?

Default Re: audyssey multeq xt32 is Killing Me and my Sierra-2s! Turning it OFF!

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Can't you turn on Dynamic EQ to help with this issue, so that you don't have to turn up the LFE channel?
    I use Dynamic EQ and generally like what it does. I have it set at -10 offset
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I use Dynamic EQ and generally like what it does. I have it set at -10 offset
    Okay great. I have an older receiver with only MultiEQ XT, so it doesn't have Dynamic EQ. While I did boost the LFE channel 2 or 3 dB, I could see myself not doing it if I had Dynamic EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I like what Dynamic EQ does, so I use it. A fair number of people don't like it, especially with music.

What I'm reading is that a significant number of people do both (I'm one of those). That is, use Dynamic EQ and run subs hot a few dB. Because I don't really want a flat bottom end, I want it exaggerated a bit for movies to give the LFE some "heft" and let you feel it as much as hear it. For example, when a car door slams, or a book drops onto the floor, and of course the ever popular explosions.

I'm just sayin' that there's more to getting what you want from an audio system than just running Audyssey once and excepting what it does without question.
    Last edited by Bruce Watson; 10-02-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    I own Sierra 2 NrTs and Rythmik sub. Great equipment!

I am pretty frustrated unfortunately but Audyssey is just doing crazy things to my sound. Just look at the EQ photos below. When I compare audyssey vs audyssey OFF, for movies the difference is not so big. I hear more treble in voices with it being OFF and bass is somewhat similar ... that's mostly with TrueHD sound. Now, when I watch music clips or movie trailers, the difference is huge. Bass is so much more pronounced with EQ being OFF.

Why is audyssey making such drastic changes to the low frequencies? My home theater is decently treated. I have 6 panels and heavy curtains. I clap and don't get that ringing sound of echo. Should I just forget about audyssey multeq xt32?

Thank you

P.S. In a perfect scenario, I would keep the toned down dialog that I get with audyssey but the lack of bass is just bad. Only problem is that I don't know how that can be done.

Attachment 1555

Attachment 1556

Attachment 1557
    You have the SEAS woofer and the NrT tweeter?