Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: audyssey multeq xt32 is Killing Me and my Sierra-2s! Turning it OFF!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default audyssey multeq xt32 is Killing Me and my Sierra-2s! Turning it OFF!

I own Sierra 2 NrTs and Rythmik sub. Great equipment!

I am pretty frustrated unfortunately but Audyssey is just doing crazy things to my sound. Just look at the EQ photos below. When I compare audyssey vs audyssey OFF, for movies the difference is not so big. I hear more treble in voices with it being OFF and bass is somewhat similar ... that's mostly with TrueHD sound. Now, when I watch music clips or movie trailers, the difference is huge. Bass is so much more pronounced with EQ being OFF.

Why is audyssey making such drastic changes to the low frequencies? My home theater is decently treated. I have 6 panels and heavy curtains. I clap and don't get that ringing sound of echo. Should I just forget about audyssey multeq xt32?

Thank you

P.S. In a perfect scenario, I would keep the toned down dialog that I get with audyssey but the lack of bass is just bad. Only problem is that I don't know how that can be done.

IMG_3915s.jpg

IMG_3916s.jpg

IMG_3917s.jpg
    Last edited by Pianist718; 09-29-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

Default Re: audyssey multeq xt32 is Killing Me and my Sierra-2s! Turning it OFF!

I'm not very familiar with XT32. And I live in a building with neighbors, so I don't have much experience with subwoofers either.

But at first glance it appears the majority of the (over)correction is right around the typical crossover region (80Hz).

Do you in fact have the crossover set to 80Hz?

Does your sub have a switch for flipping the phase?

Also, where in the room is the sub located? In a corner?

What about speaker locations?

Can you post a pic of the speakers and sub location in the room?

Default Re: audyssey multeq xt32 is Killing Me and my Sierra-2s! Turning it OFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    I'm not very familiar with XT32. And I live in a building with neighbors, so I don't have much experience with subwoofers either.

But at first glance it appears the majority of the (over)correction is right around the typical crossover region (80Hz).

Do you in fact have the crossover set to 80Hz?

Does your sub have a switch for flipping the phase?

Also, where in the room is the sub located? In a corner?

What about speaker locations?

Can you post a pic of the speakers and sub location in the room?
    Sure ...

By the way, not sure how to increase the bass other than boosting it in Channel volume but that would only boost the sub ... what about boosting frequencies above 60hz as the chart shows that it lowered everything below 120hz.

IMG_3918s.jpg

IMG_3919s.jpg
    Sub - Rythmik F12

Those graphs you are showing are the main reason I ditched Audyssey and went with Dirac Live. Before purchased the XMC-1 I had 4 x Audyssey receivers (Onkyo TX-SR7005, Onkyo TX-SR876, Onkyo TX-NR809 and Marantz SR7008). All of them killed the response in my speakers at the point that listening to music was a challenge. To resolve that I got a Parasound Halo P5 for music listening only. Back in January I started researching for receiver or pre pros good enough for music and HT so I listening to the AVM60 and liked it better than Marantz but not enough to make the switch. Then I decided to try the XMC-1 and voila, after a couple of hours listening to music I decided to keep it and packet the P5 for sale, same for the Marantz SR7008. Both units were sold in less than 24 Hours.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

What is your crossover frequency set to?

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    What is your crossover frequency set to?
    I switch between 60hz and 80hz but most of the time 60hz sounds better (lower frequencies)
    Sub - Rythmik F12

I'm using 'Bypass L/R' so that Audyssey doesn't mess up my Sierra-2s but I still get the equalization on my surrounds and dual subs.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    I own Sierra 2 NrTs and Rythmik sub. Great equipment!
    I am using Sierra 2s RCL, Sierra 1s surround, and a pair of Rythmik LVX12 subs. And you're right, excellent equipment.

I'm feeding my system from an old Denon AVR x-4000, which comes with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and SubEQ HT which I find to be excellent. But Audyssey can be picky to setup correctly, no question. The Audyssey forums are full of discussions about it.

I am pretty frustrated unfortunately but Audyssey is just doing crazy things to my sound.
    Audyssey, including X32, is fairly well known for setting up a nice flat frequency response. If you're listening at reference volumes. Which hardly anyone does (I usually max out at -10 if wife is out of the house, and -20 if she's watching with me). If you're listening at less than reference, the Robinson-Dadson curves show you what's happening to your highs and lows -- that is, how your ears deal with the highs and lows as they get softer. This is probably why you're hearing your sound as deficient at high and low ends. Turn it up, this problem goes away.

This is perhaps why so many people running Audyssey with sub(s) tend to run Audyssey, then tweak the settings (making all the speakers xover at 80 Hz for example, and turning up the sub levels in the +3 dB to +6 dB range. This is "running the subs hot" as it's called.

Why is audyssey making such drastic changes to the low frequencies? My home theater is decently treated. I have 6 panels and heavy curtains. I clap and don't get that ringing sound of echo. Should I just forget about audyssey multeq xt32?
    Your room has some treatments, but I'm not seeing any bass traps in your pictures. Bass traps are used to help tame room modes in small rooms. By small I mean rooms having at least one dimension less than about 18m (call it 60 feet). Why so big? Because a 20Hz tone has a wave length of just over 17m (56 feet).

Another way to help deal with room modes is to use dual subs. One sub fills the room with peaks and nulls. The second sub (if properly placed) can help even things out by filling in the nulls and lowering the peaks to a surprisingly large extent. This can effectively enlarge the "sweet spot" where you're sitting to listen so that everyone is presented with a more or less flat frequency response.

Ideally of course you do both bass traps and dual subs.

Audyssey will try to deal with your room modes as best it can, but if it raises the level of a particular frequency to compensate for a null, a couple of feet away it's adding to an existing peak at that frequency. It can get ugly quickly, and there's only so much that Audyssey can do since it can't bend the laws of physics.

There are huge long discussions on the Rythmik forums (the AVS Rythmik forum in particular) about how to find and fix peaks and nulls, and how to deal with Audyssey and subs.

More information, and a tool to help you visualize what's happening acoustically inside your room can be found with products like REW (room EQ wizard).

The bottom line is that it's not as easy as setting up your speakers where it's convenient, running Audyssey once, and you're done. It always seems to take more tweaking than we'd like.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Audyssey, including X32, is fairly well known for setting up a nice flat frequency response. If you're listening at reference volumes. Which hardly anyone does (I usually max out at -10 if wife is out of the house, and -20 if she's watching with me). If you're listening at less than reference, the Robinson-Dadson curves show you what's happening to your highs and lows -- that is, how your ears deal with the highs and lows as they get softer. This is probably why you're hearing your sound as deficient at high and low ends. Turn it up, this problem goes away.

This is perhaps why so many people running Audyssey with sub(s) tend to run Audyssey, then tweak the settings (making all the speakers xover at 80 Hz for example, and turning up the sub levels in the +3 dB to +6 dB range. This is "running the subs hot" as it's called.
    Can't you turn on Dynamic EQ to help with this issue, so that you don't have to turn up the LFE channel?

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Can't you turn on Dynamic EQ to help with this issue, so that you don't have to turn up the LFE channel?
    I use Dynamic EQ and generally like what it does. I have it set at -10 offset
    Nate