Thread: Sierra 2s no more?

Default Sierra 2s no more?

So I'm gearing up for a 7.1.4 Atmos configuration to be run by my new AVM 60. I had considered using the Towers I have in the shop as surrounds, but that is a large volume to fill with sound, so I decided to leave those in place and go a different route Ascend had B-stock S-2s listed on sale for $1118, perfect, that would give me Towers and Horizon front stage, and S2s surround and rear, and the SVS elevation as heights.

So I ordered the S-2s, and shortly thereafter got a call from Dina that they had no crossovers for them and she asked if I would be willing to upgrade to S-2EXs for an extra $300. More speaker than I'm thinking I need for a surround, but HECK YEAH!!!

So this left me wondering if the S-2s are being discontinued, or is this just one of "can't get anything these days" situations?

Jay

Default Re: Sierra 2s no more?

It was my understanding that with the release of the S-2EX that the standard S2 would be phased out, but that's just my feeling.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    It was my understanding that with the release of the S-2EX that the standard S2 would be phased out, but that's just my feeling.
    It seems a logical path, reduces inventory, and gives the customer a better speaker for not a whole lot more money.

Like the Towers, the EXs are a LOT of speaker in a surround or rear placement. I'm quite anxious to hear the new configuration, it was killer in a 5.1 setting. With three times the area, the 11 speaker + sub set-up should be amazing! Now if only Hollywood can get back to work creating more 4K+Atmos movies, it would be even better!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    If there is still demand for Sierra-2, we can hand build the crossovers as we have a good supply of Sierra-2 woofers. However, it really doesn't make much sense for us to keep the Sierra-2 in our lineup for too much longer. With the release of the Sierra-2EX, there is little demand for Sierra-2.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If there is still demand for Sierra-2, we can hand build the crossovers as we have a good supply of Sierra-2 woofers. However, it really doesn't make much sense for us to keep the Sierra-2 in our lineup for too much longer. With the release of the Sierra-2EX, there is little demand for Sierra-2.
    While I was looking back through the forum looking for Atmos content, I revisited Rob's (FirstReflect) thread about his custom speaker builds for his home theater. If you remember, he absolutely agonized over whether to use S2s, or his custom Sierras with the Tower RAALs and mids in them as surrounds. As critical a listener as he is, to him there was an ever so slight difference to be heard between the two (not taking into account bass extension). It really makes me wonder what his take on the EXs would be?

He ended up using, and being content with S2s in the surround placement. I really wonder if I would ever hear a difference with the EXs doing surround duty, but with improved performance virtually throughout the frequency band, it sure can't hurt! I would imagine the improved dynamics, and bass extension will be welcome strengths in movie soundtracks.

Jay

I've run S1, S2 and S2EX as surrounds and feel it was definitely worth the upgrade to EX. The EX is simply a more seamless match for the towers and Horizon up front with bass noticeably better than the S2. I was surprised how much I noticed the improvement from S2 to EX. If the EX and their price tag seems overkill for surround duty, the S1 is a great alternative. I wasn't as impressed with the S2 for surround duty as I am with the EXs but I have zero reservations recommending the EX for surround duty.

The above comments are made with respect to home theater. I also listen to multi-channel music and if this is a consideration for anyone then I think EX wins hands down for the same reasons - except that the surrounds are now far more critical to the listening experience and thus easier to justify if you have doubts about upgrading.