Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking: Audition/comparison (Sierra 2 against my current speakers) - Charlotte, NC

Default Seeking: Audition/comparison (Sierra 2 against my current speakers) - Charlotte, NC

Hi all,

I currently have a pair of Scansonic MB-2.5s but might need to downsize in the future to some bookshelf speakers. Does anyone in the area have Sierra 2s that would be willing to let me bring my speakers over for a comparison?

I'd like to see what I have to lose/gain if I made the transition.

Thanks!

(I know I have few posts here, but I have many more on AVSforum under the same name)

Default Re: Audition/Comparison (Sierra 2 against my current speakers)- Charlotte, NC

Ain't those purdy!!

Looks like a good bit of their cost goes to the cabinet materials & cosmetics.

Ascend puts the bulk of their cost into the components that matter the most.....drivers & crossovers. The Bamboo cabinets provide a rock solid acoustically inert foundation without an ultra high price tag.

I'd bet you'd be pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Sierra-2's!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default Re: Audition/Comparison (Sierra 2 against my current speakers)- Charlotte, NC

I chuckled at your remark, as it implies that Scansonic spends money on cabinets and cosmetics instead of drivers and crossovers.

That being said, I expressed interest in a comparison because I look forward to trying a pair of Ascend speakers at some point. Initially, I considered the Sierra Lunas (along with a subwoofer), and a few here have indicated that they had trouble hearing a difference between the Lunas and Sierra 2s side-by-side. I decided against the Lunas however, as I'm looking for a convenient form factor now but will continue to use these speakers in a larger room as mains in the future.

I imagine that even when crossed over at 80hz, the smaller driver of the Lunas would limit max SPL compared to the Sierra 2s.

Quote Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
    I chuckled at your remark, as it implies that Scansonic spends money on cabinets and cosmetics instead of drivers and crossovers.
    Not meant to imply that at all, sorry for any confusion. The Scansonic drivers appear to be high quality as well.

What I was attempting to say is: Don't let the modest looks and price of the Sierra-2's lead you to believe they are not at the same level as speakers priced much higher, often at 2X the price. Dave's relationships with other professionals in the audio industry have allowed him to bring high-end, Mercedes-Benz sound to GM/Ford prices.

I am interested in your thoughts once you do any sort of comparison.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Dave's relationships with other professionals in the audio industry have allowed him to bring high-end, Mercedes-Benz sound to GM/Ford prices.
    Unless it's a Ford GT40. 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Not meant to imply that at all, sorry for any confusion. The Scansonic drivers appear to be high quality as well.

What I was attempting to say is: Don't let the modest looks and price of the Sierra-2's lead you to believe they are not at the same level as speakers priced much higher, often at 2X the price. Dave's relationships with other professionals in the audio industry have allowed him to bring high-end, Mercedes-Benz sound to GM/Ford prices.

I am interested in your thoughts once you do any sort of comparison.
    Well now I feel terrible for reading it the wrong way; apologies for misinterpreting!

I'll definitely post an update if anyone in my area has a pair to demo against. It's not really a true "shootout" per say, as the towers will almost definitely need to go in the next couple years. And in regards to the cosmetics (of the Seirras), I always thought they were finished quite nicely.
    Last edited by amatuerholic; 08-17-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Clarification

I always think the Sierra-1s are really pretty will the grilles off. Unfortunately, I don't think the ribbons are nearly as aesthetic and so when I eventually get around to upgrading to S2s I'll probably go with the grilles on.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    I always think the Sierra-1s are really pretty will the grilles off. Unfortunately, I don't think the ribbons are nearly as aesthetic and so when I eventually get around to upgrading to S2s I'll probably go with the grilles on.
    I will belong to another camp; I love the look of the ribbons and run all my speakers naked.

If there's no audible difference, I'd run them covered for the sake of protection (from dust and curious fingers). If there is an audible difference (there isn't one from what I understand), magnetic grills would be very nice for easy removal while alleviating concerns about broken pegs, not to mention a cleaner look

So, no one in the Charlotte area then?