Thread: Upgrading from NHT VT-2 towers to ?

Default Upgrading from NHT VT-2 towers to ?

Hello,

I am a newbie here and i sent an email asking the same question to Ascend but figured this maybe a better place to ask.I am just getting back into the high end home audio game, i just bought a turntable and i am really enjoying vinyl I am looking for a pair of speakers for 2 channel music listening. I currently own a pair of NHT VT-2's that have served me well for years and i am looking to upgrade. I have been doing a ton of research online and while i have not auditioned any speakers yet i have seen many glowing reviews for the Ascend towers with RAAL. I don't know if you have ever heard the NHT's i own but i would be curious as to how your speakers would sound in comparision. Some of the reviews and articles i have seen online (i take most things with a grain of salt) have said that speakers with RAAL tweeters are not good for hard rock music or rock shouldnt be listened to at loud levels on ribbon tweeter speakers, is that true as I mostly listen to hard rock/metal so i am looking for a speaker that will sound great with that genre. I also like to keep the volume up pretty loud most of the time Some of the other speakers that i have been researching and have peaked my interest are the Klipsch RF-7 III, Focal Aria 948's, SVS Ultra Towers, and the Revel F208's, i have not had an opportunity to audition any of these yet. How do the Ascends compare to some of these other speakers, is there something better or something else to look at between $2-5k other than what i have listed for rock music?

Thanks
    Frank

Default Re: Upgrading from NHT VT-2 towers to ?

I am currently running the Sierra 2's with RAAL for L&R front, along with a Rythmik E15HP. I listen to a lot of rock/metal and sounds excellent to me. Vinyl, as well...don't remember the last time I put a CD on at home :-). I do crank it every once in awhile (when the wife isn't home) and no problems (as long as your amp has the headroom and doesn't clip).

No experience with any of the other speakers you mentioned, but little risk in trying the Ascends as there is a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Curious - what TT did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I am currently running the Sierra 2's with RAAL for L&R front, along with a Rythmik E15HP. I listen to a lot of rock/metal and sounds excellent to me. Vinyl, as well...don't remember the last time I put a CD on at home :-). I do crank it every once in awhile (when the wife isn't home) and no problems (as long as your amp has the headroom and doesn't clip).

No experience with any of the other speakers you mentioned, but little risk in trying the Ascends as there is a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Curious - what TT did you get?
    Thanks for the response! yeah everything i seem to read about these is really great, i do listen to other genres but mainly rock and i want something that is going to be awesome!

I just got an Audio Technica AT-120 turntable i am brand new to the whole vinyl thing but i am loving it! I also purchased a parks puffin phone DSP preamp and that thing is phenomenal!

I listen to other genres as well (jazz, classical).
    Nice turntable - looks like a Technics TT that I used to own many years ago.

I'd also recommend getting a record cleaning machine, even for new vinyl, at some point in time. I use a ultrasonic cleaner (VinylStack + ultrasonic tank I got on Amazon) then vacuum on a VPI 16.5.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 01-14-2019 at 10:56 AM.