Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

If you look deep into the internet archives and newsgroups, you will see the Tom V. interacted and asked a lot of questions with Dr. Hsu. In fact, the first SVS subwoofer was built in a garage with Hsu parts. Dr. Hsu helped them a lot...then they decided to be a competitor.

Competition is good.

That said, being the son of an engineer, and having a technical background, I like it when the people behind the companies are actual engineers, such as Dr. Hsu, Brian Ding(Rythmik), and Dave F.

The amount of engineering (and knowledge)these guys put into their products is more than any other ID company gets from their founder that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I've only seen one direct comparison between Ascend RAAL towers and PSA bookshelfs. IIRC the owner found a noticeable difference in the high frequencies. It's on AVS somewhere. I suggest taking a look for it.
    I have heard the PSA's - nice speakers, they sound a lot like our 340's -- but with higher efficiency and less bass.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    If you look deep into the internet archives and newsgroups, you will see the Tom V. interacted and asked a lot of questions with Dr. Hsu. In fact, the first SVS subwoofer was built in a garage with Hsu parts. Dr. Hsu helped them a lot...then they decided to be a competitor.

Competition is good.

That said, being the son of an engineer, and having a technical background, I like it when the people behind the companies are actual engineers, such as Dr. Hsu, Brian Ding(Rythmik), and Dave F.

The amount of engineering (and knowledge)these guys put into their products is more than any other ID company gets from their founder that I know of.
    I'll tell ya this post persuaded me back to Ascend. I do love that Ascend was founded by an Engineer. I am easily influenced though. Ha ha.
    I do like the efficiency of the PSA's and 10 inch woofer. On the other hand I am NOT looking for ear splitting volume levels. Just the most crisp, detailed and crystal clear sound.

Competition is good.

I remember those days -- had many talks with my friend Dr. Hsu about this (we used to sell his subs) He was extremely upset about this but really wasn't able to do anything to stop it. Many companies reverse engineer products while also asking the design engineer questions and advice. It has happened to us too...

I don't think it was Tom's (& Ron's) initial intention to go into business and compete against Dr. Hsu back then, the good news is that HSU survived just fine

There is certainly a lot of "history" in the ID Audio business -- perhaps, when I retire, I'll write a small article about it. One thing I can say about my business, we have been honest, ethical, and transparent from the very beginning and that will never change...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    On the other hand I am NOT looking for ear splitting volume levels. Just the most crisp, detailed and crystal clear sound.
    If this is what you are looking for, honestly - it is going to be nearly impossible to beat our RAAL ribbon based products. Don't let the 10" woofer be a deciding factor - it is a 10" pro audio woofer, which is designed for high efficiency and very high SPL's - and to do that, it sacrifices a very considerable amount of bass. Crazy as it sounds, our tiny 5 1/4" woofer in our Sierra-1 will provide significantly deeper bass than this 10". It's all about trade-offs. If you wish to learn more, Google "Hoffman’s Iron Law" for speakers...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If this is what you are looking for, honestly - it is going to be nearly impossible to beat our RAAL ribbon based products. Don't let the 10" woofer be a deciding factor - it is a 10" pro audio woofer, which is designed for high efficiency and very high SPL's - and to do that, it sacrifices a very considerable amount of bass. Crazy as it sounds, our tiny 5 1/4" woofer in our Sierra-1 will provide significantly deeper bass than this 10". It's all about trade-offs. If you wish to learn more, Google "Hoffman’s Iron Law" for speakers...
    Thanks Dave, I really appreciate your insight. I have time as I said, not buying for a little bit. Need a few financial things to line up first. God that RAAL Ribbon tweeter must be something. I am curious to hear a different tweeter technology than I ever hear before.

Competition is good.

Very off topic, but somewhat timely given that Apple just announced the iPhone 10 or whatever they're calling it:

Anyway, this reminds me of a certain icon who used to run Apple. He may have been the master of asking/inquiring into other company's products, then synthesizing those ideas into products of his own.

The iPhone was a good example of this. I know he "befriended" the leadership of another tech company at the time, picked his brains, acted as if he was interested in a joint-effort. Then when he got all the info he wanted, he stabbed his "friend" in the back and made his own product.

There's a little more detail that I know but probably shouldn't say. I think you can get the gist of it.

I'm not saying Tom V. did or did not do this - I truly have no idea there. I'm just saying that story reminded me of the story above.

Thanks Dave, I really appreciate your insight. I have time as I said, not buying for a little bit. Need a few financial things to line up first. God that RAAL Ribbon tweeter must be something. I am curious to hear a different tweeter technology than I ever hear before.
    My pleasure - and no rush. I am not sure if we have any towers left to sell at this point and it will likely be about 2 months before our next production run of cabinets are ready. Yes, the RAAL's are indeed quite different - entirely different technology than how a dome tweeter works. Keep in mind that a compression driver is basically a dome tweeter housed in a compression chamber. It generates sound the same way a dome tweeter does -- a voice coil wrapped around a former, which is adhered to a diaphragm (typically aluminum or mylar) and set into a magnetic gap. The difference being in the way the sound waves interact with the air around them - such that a typical dome tweeter radiates into open space while the sound waves produced from the diaphragm in a CD are forced through "compressed" into a small exit hole and then usually directed via horn or waveguide.

It is how sound is produced by a true ribbon tweeter that differentiates it from all the rest -- the only moving part is the actual part that produces sound, thus the mass that moves is typically about 1/100th of that of other tweeters.... It is as pure of a transducer as is currently possible for the market (second to that of a plasma tweeter - which is technically purer but not appropriate for consumer use)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Awesome thank you again. Are there always B-stock Sierra 2's? Are there deals made for buying in bunches like say 3 at a time? Thanks again.

Awesome thank you again. Are there always B-stock Sierra 2's? Are there deals made for buying in bunches like say 3 at a time? Thanks again.
    We usually don't have too many b-stock Sierra-2's -- unfortunately, we had some minor issues with our last batch of cabinets from our cabinet maker. I have found that we are generally more critical of our quality than our customers are and most would consider our current b-stock models as A-stock, but I don't.

We do give small package discounts when purchasing more than a pair - and this is extended to our b-stock as well. Feel free to give us a call - it is often easier than email and forum posting and you would likely enjoy speaking with Dina
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com