Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

It really comes down to what you are looking for in your speakers -- which is often difficult to define until you really get into critical listening. And when one starts critical listening and builds these skills, differences between speakers become much more apparent.
    This is all very true. The only downside is that sharper critical listening skills + better speakers unfortunately reveal differences in recording quality. Since getting my S2's, I've spent a fair amount of money upgrading my favorite music with better quality recordings. Very much worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    This is all very true. The only downside is that sharper critical listening skills + better speakers unfortunately reveal differences in recording quality. Since getting my S2's, I've spent a fair amount of money upgrading my favorite music with better quality recordings. Very much worth it though.
    Well said. I'm going through the same process with hi-res upgrades, although I always question myself "do I really want to purchase music that I already have". The answer usually depends on recording quality (or lack of) of the CD that I already own.

I'm no audiophile, but I have auditioned 3 of the 4 brands you inquired about. Here's my 2 cents.

About a year ago I started thinking about upgrading my speakers. The research began. As I was coming off some not very good and older bookshelf speakers anything would be an upgrade. I resolved to try about 3 different internet direct speaker companies and keep those I liked best. I first tried SVS ultras bookshelf and was amazed at the improvement. They sounded so much better than what I had I almost stopped and settled for those (glad I didn't). Then the Aperion Verus II bookshelfs arrived. Those sounded even better! Then as I learned more I realized my room was simply too large for bookshelves, so I ordered Aperion Verus II towers and center. These filled my room so much better and the SVS PB2000 sub was (I thought) amazing. But something about the Aperion center just didn't sound right, even to my untrained ear. So I started researching even more and came across Salk and Ascend. This would be a step up in price from what I was considering but thought it might be worth it. Coincidentally, I found out Jim Salk was located about 15 miles from me so I called him went to his shop and after a great tour of his shop I listened to some Salk speakers that were out of my price range but all he had available at the time for me to hear. He is a great guy and his speakers are first rate. Unfortunately he didn't have the speaker available I was interested in and because his are custom ordered and take approximate 2-3 months I didn't want to wait. I then found Ascend and decided to go all out and try the Towers and Horizon center with RAAL. Hey, if I didn't think they were worth the extra money I could always send them back, right. WOW! When I got those things hooked up and listened, the Aperions went right back in the box and never got another thought. Since then I have bought 2 pairs of Luna's and 2 Rythmik FV15HP subwoofers. Though I spent a lot more than I originally set out to I couldn't be happier. These speakers deliver, without question, the crystal clear detail and clarity you crave. I suspect the Salk Song 3's with RAAL and comparable center would also satisfy your desires. In my test, the Aperions did not deliver the same sound quality. I have not tried the PSAs.

I think all of these manufacturers offer an in home trial. It's a little work trying them all, boxing and shipping the returns, but you're spending a lot of money and it's worth the time to audition in your own home to find what suits your taste. The Ascend's were best for me and every time I listen to them I am giggling inside as to how beautiful they sound. There are only a few times in my life that I have felt like a purchase was really high quality and worth every penny (even though it was more than I wanted to spend) but in the end turned out to be so satisfying and that's how I feel about these speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by srm51475 View Post
    I'm no audiophile, but I have auditioned 3 of the 4 brands you inquired about. Here's my 2 cents.

About a year ago I started thinking about upgrading my speakers. The research began. As I was coming off some not very good and older bookshelf speakers anything would be an upgrade. I resolved to try about 3 different internet direct speaker companies and keep those I liked best. I first tried SVS ultras bookshelf and was amazed at the improvement. They sounded so much better than what I had I almost stopped and settled for those (glad I didn't). Then the Aperion Verus II bookshelfs arrived. Those sounded even better! Then as I learned more I realized my room was simply too large for bookshelves, so I ordered Aperion Verus II towers and center. These filled my room so much better and the SVS PB2000 sub was (I thought) amazing. But something about the Aperion center just didn't sound right, even to my untrained ear. So I started researching even more and came across Salk and Ascend. This would be a step up in price from what I was considering but thought it might be worth it. Coincidentally, I found out Jim Salk was located about 15 miles from me so I called him went to his shop and after a great tour of his shop I listened to some Salk speakers that were out of my price range but all he had available at the time for me to hear. He is a great guy and his speakers are first rate. Unfortunately he didn't have the speaker available I was interested in and because his are custom ordered and take approximate 2-3 months I didn't want to wait. I then found Ascend and decided to go all out and try the Towers and Horizon center with RAAL. Hey, if I didn't think they were worth the extra money I could always send them back, right. WOW! When I got those things hooked up and listened, the Aperions went right back in the box and never got another thought. Since then I have bought 2 pairs of Luna's and 2 Rythmik FV15HP subwoofers. Though I spent a lot more than I originally set out to I couldn't be happier. These speakers deliver, without question, the crystal clear detail and clarity you crave. I suspect the Salk Song 3's with RAAL and comparable center would also satisfy your desires. In my test, the Aperions did not deliver the same sound quality. I have not tried the PSAs.

I think all of these manufacturers offer an in home trial. It's a little work trying them all, boxing and shipping the returns, but you're spending a lot of money and it's worth the time to audition in your own home to find what suits your taste. The Ascend's were best for me and every time I listen to them I am giggling inside as to how beautiful they sound. There are only a few times in my life that I have felt like a purchase was really high quality and worth every penny (even though it was more than I wanted to spend) but in the end turned out to be so satisfying and that's how I feel about these speakers.
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, thank you for the reply and insight. I'm kinda leaning PSA again, no offense to Ascend. It may switch back, who knows. PSA seems to be a combination of brute force and detail and clarity. I'm not buying anything till next year anyway so I have a lot of time to research and change my mind several times. Thanks again for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, thank you for the reply and insight. I'm kinda leaning PSA again, no offense to Ascend. It may switch back, who knows. PSA seems to be a combination of brute force and detail and clarity. I'm not buying anything till next year anyway so I have a lot of time to research and change my mind several times. Thanks again for the post.
    I can't comment on the performance of any of the speakers that u are considering.
    I am very biased against PSA, so take my comment with a big grain of salt.
    I am biased against PSA, because of the way the company handled critical feedback from another user on avs forums in the subwoofer thread a couple of months ago. I believe the username was MarkAlexander and it had something to do with the performance of the v1801 - hopefully not many of the posts were removed. I can't give u any technical details because it went mostly over my head, and because I don't want to attack PSA here, where they aren't likely to come and defend themselves, but it is something u might want to research for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by r0nski2000 View Post
    I can't comment on the performance of any of the speakers that u are considering.
    I am biased against PSA, because of the way the company handled critical feedback from another user on avs forums in the subwoofer thread a couple of months ago. I believe the username was MarkAlexander and it had something to do with the performance of the v1801 - hopefully not many of the posts were removed. I can't give u any technical details because it went mostly over my head, and because I don't want to attack PSA here, where they aren't likely to come and defend themselves, but it is something u might want to research for yourself.
    I would respond by saying, even though I returned an S1500 for a F15HP-SE, I think PSA offers great value for the money, and possibly the best subwoofers at the 800 (B-Stock), 900 (B-Stock) and 1000 price points, but it's pretty high competition in that range with Hsu as well. However, I had extra room in my budget, and based on what I was hearing about the E15HP / F15HP here and on other forums, it seemed like it fit my needs better. And it really did =). It also did cost me 459 more for all the options I wanted, even though it was a B-Stock. But I am happy I spent the money.

I think Tom V is a straight shooter and, while he won't cradle your emotions, he'll call it like it is. I've had honest discussions with him and spent many messages communicating my decision that I ended up making, which was going in the direction of the Rythmik. Even though I was outside my 60 day trial period, he still let me return it because as he said, I wasn't completely happy with my sub and he didn't want me to be stuck with that. I ended up paying $45 (The cost of return shipping) for my over 60 day trial of the S1500.

If you have tough skin, there's nothing wrong with going PSA.
    Last edited by Roen; 09-12-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r0nski2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    I would respond by saying, even though I returned an S1500 for a F15HP-SE, I think PSA offers great value for the money, and possibly the best subwoofers at the 800 (B-Stock), 900 (B-Stock) and 1000 price points, but it's pretty high competition in that range with Hsu as well. However, I had extra room in my budget, and based on what I was hearing about the E15HP / F15HP here and on other forums, it seemed like it fit my needs better. And it really did =). It also did cost me 459 more for all the options I wanted, even though it was a B-Stock. But I am happy I spent the money.

I think Tom V is a straight shooter and, while he won't cradle your emotions, he'll call it like it is. I've had honest discussions with him and spent many messages communicating my decision that I ended up making, which was going in the direction of the Rythmik. Even though I was outside my 60 day trial period, he still let me return it because as he said, I wasn't completely happy with my sub and he didn't want me to be stuck with that. I ended up paying $45 (The cost of return shipping) for my over 60 day trial of the S1500.

If you have tough skin, there's nothing wrong with going PSA.
    Yeah I can't really not consider them or not like them because of some issue on a forum. Tom V. is great to talk to, will answers questions till the end of time. No he isn't a warm and fuzzy guy to talk to but not everyone is nor needs to be. As I said I'm leaning PSA heavily at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Yeah I can't really not consider them or not like them because of some issue on a forum. Tom V. is great to talk to, will answers questions till the end of time. No he isn't a warm and fuzzy guy to talk to but not everyone is nor needs to be. As I said I'm leaning PSA heavily at the moment.
    I don't have a problem with HOW Tom V talks to people, I honestly don't care - my feelings were not hurt, and I don't think I need thicker skin. I have a problem with WHAT Tom V says to people.

As for the specific issue - it didn't have to do with a single customer(in fact, I don't think it was a customer who raised it) it had to do with the performance of the entire v1801 line.

I've only seen one direct comparison between Ascend RAAL towers and PSA bookshelfs. IIRC the owner found a noticeable difference in the high frequencies. It's on AVS somewhere. I suggest taking a look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    ...I think PSA offers great value for the money, and possibly the best subwoofers at the 800 (B-Stock), 900 (B-Stock) and 1000 price points, but it's pretty high competition in that range with Hsu as well. However, I had extra room in my budget, and based on what I was hearing about the E15HP / F15HP here and on other forums, it seemed like it fit my needs better. And it really did =).
    I'm a big fan of the servo subs. I've got a pair of Rythmik LVX12s which are awesome for HT and just about as good for music (I don't listen to a lot of pipe organ, and most music, from classical to jazz to techno doesn't have a lot of really deep bass (very little below, say, 40 Hz), so the subs aren't really stressed much with most music). Velodyne also makes servo subs, Genesis does too, so it doesn't have to be just Rythmik.

In comparison to, say, SVS, HSU, and of course PSA (all internet retailers with big followings probably bigger than Rythmik, IDK) I find the servos tighter, deeper, and with less distortion. That is, they integrate really quite easily with upper range speakers like Ascend Acoustics makes. Makes the entire system sound fairly seamless, like you just tacked on another two octaves on the bottom of your upper range speakers that sounds just like those upper range speakers.

From what I can tell, this seamless integration between upper range speakers and subs is more difficult, often considerably more difficult, with conventional non-servo subs.

The trade off is of course price. Servo subs are more difficult to make and therefore cost more. But I'll pay that price every time. Because I don't want to be futzing about with my speakers, I want to be listening to music and movies.

Now the joy of all this is that no one needs to believe me. It's so easy to try out a servo sub (or a pair) in your own listening environment. Find out for yourself -- if you don't find the servo subs worth the money, send them back. But be prepared to keep them. Just sayin'.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington