Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Well for what though, better for music or just brute force and beauty of HT too? I mean movies have that action crazy sound and beautiful moments as well. Are the Sierra 2's good at music and movies too?
    And Curtis that is what I am afraid of. Because of the price are the CMT-340's overlooked? Because they don't have the exotic drivers are they overlooked? They could just be the gem in the Ascend lineup? Thanks for the post, I appreciate it.
    I wouldn't say our 340's are overlooked, they remain extremely popular since we released them about 15 years ago. - They currently outsell our Sierra-1 and CBM-170's.

How one defines "better" when it comes to speakers is extremely difficult. One must understand and then define specific characteristics or performance. For music listening, the Sierra-1 will provide better imaging, a bit more detail, deeper and punchier bass and an overall smoother high end. The 340's will provide better mid-bass, provide higher SPL's, and will have a slightly more clinical presentation.

Some of our customers prefer CMT-340 over Sierra-1 for home theater, while they prefer Sierra-1 for music listening.

It really comes down to what you are looking for in your speakers -- which is often difficult to define until you really get into critical listening. And when one starts critical listening and builds these skills, differences between speakers become much more apparent.

For example, I would say for someone new to this hobby, they might even prefer the CMT-340 over our Sierra-2. But as time goes by, and critical listening skills improve - one then generally prefers the speakers with a more accurate and more detailed presentation, thus craving speakers like our Sierra-2. Customers often ask, for example, is the Sierra-1 10-20% "better" than the CMT-340? The proper response to this is always, "it depends on your critical listening skills"... For an experienced listener, that difference in performance can easily be huge, for the non-critical listener - they might not even hear a difference....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I wouldn't say our 340's are overlooked, they remain extremely popular since we released them about 15 years ago......
    I'm getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I'm getting old.
    Me too... Ascend's 20yr Anniversary is coming up fast... I don't think any of the current ID audio companies existed back then (aside from HSU, but they were only mail order or local)..

Most have gone under since then.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I'm getting old.
    Makes three of us!

Really, any notable names? I haven't followed ID companies as closely. Only the strong survive right.

Me too... Ascend's 20yr Anniversary is coming up fast... I don't think any of the current ID audio companies existed back then (aside from HSU, but they were only mail order or local)..

Most have gone under since then.
    The only one that I can think of that could possible be that old is Aperion Audio.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

Quote Originally Posted by Mahawkma View Post
    The only one that I can think of that could possible be that old is Aperion Audio.
    Aperion wasn't around, they were a different company back then, known as Edge Audio.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Aperion wasn't around, they were a different company back then, known as Edge Audio.
    I thought they just did a name change. Did the original owner sell the company?

edit: Not trying to be argumentative, just generally curious.
    Last edited by Mahawkma; 08-30-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

Quote Originally Posted by Mahawkma View Post
    I thought they just did a name change. Did the original owner sell the company?

edit: Not trying to be argumentative, just generally curious.
    I do believe ownership changed, thus prompting the name change.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I do believe ownership changed, thus prompting the name change.
    Wow this stuff is genuinely interesting to me. I did not know any of this. Good name change because Eagle audio is TERRIBLE!