Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    In most installations, the surrounds are typically twice as close to the listening position as the fronts, and that makes up for the difference in efficiency - (if using Sierra-2's as fronts). However, the difference in efficiency really only comes into play depending on one's listening distance from the speakers, how loud they like to listen, and available amplifier power. Best to consult with us if trying to determine which speakers to use as fronts, Luna's or Sierra-2.

I love the Luna's as fronts, but you do need some power behind them.
    Yeah I have switched back to thinking 3 Sierra 2's LCR and Luna surrounds. That seems like the best way to go if not all 5 Sierra 2's.

Hey guys what does the CMT-340's sound like? I can't help but keep checking them out, they look really awesome. How would, yes over the top but 5 of them for all 5 channels sound like? Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Hey guys what does the CMT-340's sound like? I can't help but keep checking them out, they look really awesome. How would, yes over the top but 5 of them for all 5 channels sound like? Thanks for any input.
    The CMT-340 is an excellent speaker—my brother has a pair. I think they're inferior to the Sierra-1, but they're also cheaper. For the price I think they're outstanding. Very clear, very neutral, but not quite as detailed as the S1.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    The CMT-340 is an excellent speaker—my brother has a pair. I think they're inferior to the Sierra-1, but they're also cheaper. For the price I think they're outstanding. Very clear, very neutral, but not quite as detailed as the S1.
    Wow ok, so definitely not nearly as good as the S2 but I didn't expect that at its price.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Wow ok, so definitely not nearly as good as the S2 but I didn't expect that at its price.
    IMO, best speaker per dollar in Ascend's lineup.

The most unfortunate thing is its price, because of it, it is always overlooked more so than the other Ascend speakers.
    -curtis

I used to have the 340SE and they are great speakers. They have 5dB higher sensitivity than the Sierrra line which means they can play quite a bit louder with less power. They also have a higher maximum output than the Sierras. And like Curtis said, the bang for you buck is way up there.

That being said, the Sierra has more expensive and higher end components. The bamboo cabinet is much more solid, the woofer and tweeter are also superior (especially the Raal). All of this results in another level of sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    IMO, best speaker per dollar in Ascend's lineup.

The most unfortunate thing is its price, because of it, it is always overlooked more so than the other Ascend speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I used to have the 340SE and they are great speakers. They have 5dB higher sensitivity than the Sierrra line which means they can play quite a bit louder with less power. They also have a higher maximum output than the Sierras. And like Curtis said, the bang for you buck is way up there.

That being said, the Sierra has more expensive and higher end components. The bamboo cabinet is much more solid, the woofer and tweeter are also superior (especially the Raal). All of this results in another level of sound quality.
    Well for what though, better for music or just brute force and beauty of HT too? I mean movies have that action crazy sound and beautiful moments as well. Are the Sierra 2's good at music and movies too?
    And Curtis that is what I am afraid of. Because of the price are the CMT-340's overlooked? Because they don't have the exotic drivers are they overlooked? They could just be the gem in the Ascend lineup? Thanks for the post, I appreciate it.

Well for what though, better for music or just brute force and beauty of HT too? I mean movies have that action crazy sound and beautiful moments as well. Are the Sierra 2's good at music and movies too?
    And Curtis that is what I am afraid of. Because of the price are the CMT-340's overlooked? Because they don't have the exotic drivers are they overlooked? They could just be the gem in the Ascend lineup? Thanks for the post, I appreciate it.
    They are great for music and movies.

Because of their price, people don't bother because they are looking to spend more, and don't realize how much these punch above their price...more so than other Ascend speakers.

People who know drivers, know all the drivers in Ascend speakers are good...there are not many manufacturers that have the same kind of relationship Dave has with Seas and Raal, as well as other OEMs.
    -curtis

Are the Sierra 2's good at music and movies too?
    Oh yes. Very good indeed!
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Well if my wife gets the new job she has been after this week I may order the Sierra 2's and the CMT-340's to try both of them. Ya never know. I am intrigued by both to be honest.