Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Well there is a close situation. I think the SM 65s are a bit of a higher up speaker on in the Def Tech lineup but it's a good start. Just how detailed are the Sierra 2's? How does that RAAL ribbon tweeter sound? Are we taking serious clarity and detail?
    I have been listening to sierra 2 for over a month now and they are amazing. Superb imaging, clarity, soundstage. Believe me that RAAL ribbons are seriously great. Not a bit harsh at all even at louder volumes. Once you hear those, you will not be able to tolerate regular tweeters. Sierra 2 also has unbelievably good bass in such a small form factor. couple of times i thought my sub was ON. I listen to all kind of music from classic rock, hard rock, death metal, jazz etc and sierra 2 have been amazing for any music i have thrown at them.
    clarity and instrument separation is just too good.
    I am very sure i will not need any speaker upgrades in future unless Dave comes up with something new .
    Last edited by vicky; 08-22-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Another suggestion is 3 Sierra 2's across the front and a pair of HTM200SE or CBMs as surrounds. I use the S2 + HTM set up, along with an E15HP sub. Sounds great.
    Good suggestion, thank you. I originally want the same tweeter or type of tweeter all the way around but I'll look at this suggestion.

Good suggestion, thank you. I originally want the same tweeter or type of tweeter all the way around but I'll look at this suggestion.
    Luna or B-Stock are your options if you want to spend less than A-Stock S2's.

I'm about 11 to 12 feet back. I do like the b-stock idea on the Sierra 2's though. Can you always or mostly always find them in b-stock?
    The Luna's as mains or really all 5 channels sound like a doable idea that would sound great? I'd definitely use 2 subs in the scenario.
    At that listening distance, I'd recommend going with Sierra-2's as fronts and the Luna's as surrounds. With a good sub and crossed at 80Hz, it is difficult to actually hear a difference between the Sierra-2's and Luna's when properly level matched. However, at your listening distance I would recommend the 2's due to the higher efficiency.

For example, to reach 94dB SPL, with Sierra-2 as fronts you will need 50 watts of power, but with the Luna's - you will need close to 100watts. Should you ever want to reach higher output levels, for example 97dB - you will need ~200 watts in to the Luna's and ~100 watts into Sierra-2. That is per speaker...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    At that listening distance, I'd recommend going with Sierra-2's as fronts and the Luna's as surrounds. With a good sub and crossed at 80Hz, it is difficult to actually hear a difference between the Sierra-2's and Luna's when properly level matched. However, at your listening distance I would recommend the 2's due to the higher efficiency.

For example, to reach 94dB SPL, with Sierra-2 as fronts you will need 50 watts of power, but with the Luna's - you will need close to 100watts. Should you ever want to reach higher output levels, for example 97dB - you will need ~200 watts in to the Luna's and ~100 watts into Sierra-2. That is per speaker...
    Yeah I agree, plus I really want those Sierra 2's. I bet 3 Sierra 2's mains/center and 2 Luna's surrounds would sound absolutely incredible. To be honest I'm gonna order in 2 stages, 3 Sierra 2's for mains/center and then down the line a but the Luna's for surrounds, but it would not surprise when it came to to order the surrounds I don't end up ordering 2 more Sierra 2's. Yeah I'm a little coo coo when it comes to this happy.

Yeah I agree, plus I really want those Sierra 2's. I bet 3 Sierra 2's mains/center and 2 Luna's surrounds would sound absolutely incredible.
    It sure does -- we just demoed this exact same setup for a customer today
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I concur.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

So you lost basically nothing going with Luna's as surrounds than Sierra 2's? God I gotta hear these speakers.

So you lost basically nothing going with Luna's as surrounds than Sierra 2's? God I gotta hear these speakers.
    Not nothing -- you loose about 3 dB in efficiency with the Lunas. But that really doesn't much matter in surrounds, at least for video use. Might be a slightly different story for music. I've got some blu-ray surround coral music that might show it. But I doubt I could stay in the same room with it if I cranked it to the point where my AVR began to clip the surround channels.

So... you do loose a little. Seems like a fair trade off to me though.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Not nothing -- you loose about 3 dB in efficiency with the Lunas. But that really doesn't much matter in surrounds, at least for video use. Might be a slightly different story for music. I've got some blu-ray surround coral music that might show it. But I doubt I could stay in the same room with it if I cranked it to the point where my AVR began to clip the surround channels.

So... you do loose a little. Seems like a fair trade off to me though.
    In most installations, the surrounds are typically twice as close to the listening position as the fronts, and that makes up for the difference in efficiency - (if using Sierra-2's as fronts). However, the difference in efficiency really only comes into play depending on one's listening distance from the speakers, how loud they like to listen, and available amplifier power. Best to consult with us if trying to determine which speakers to use as fronts, Luna's or Sierra-2.

I love the Luna's as fronts, but you do need some power behind them.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com