Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Cross your fingers, I'f I win 330,000 in the lotto tonight,l I will be making an order tomorrow of a full Ascend set. And it will be the Sierra towers with RAAL. Ha ha.
    Yeah the videos of speakers on you tube don't tell you much. You will never get a real idea of the speaker you're listening too.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We continually get requests from self-proclaimed YouTube audio reviewers who wish to produce video/audio reviews of our speakers. I do everything I can to avoid this as it is nonsense for anyone to think they can get a fairly reasonable idea of how a speaker sounds from watching / listening to a youtube video... Sadly, it seems like the days of truly professional audio reviewers (people like Howard Ferstler for example) are long gone....

I've been working in this industry for my entire adult life, and most of my teen years as well. It is really the only job I have ever known, from sales to tech to engineer to business owner... I find it interesting as to how the industry has changed and how the internet has allowed consumers to become more educated, much less snake oil products these days (a good thing). The converse is that now nearly anyone can become a reviewer, whereas in the old days, most reviewers were highly educated - many were practicing engineers as well and reviews were both objective and subjective.

In general, we average at least one request per month from someone who wants a pair of speakers "in exchange" for them posting a youtube review. As if we couldn't simply post some videos of the way our speakers "sound" on youtube - and we actually have the professional gear to do this in a controlled and proper environment. Problem is, of course - that youtube compresses the audio and who knows what the video is being played back through -- earbuds? PC speakers? Seriously? Even if the listener had the most accurate speakers ever made and the reviewer had the best B&K mic - they are still listening to a recording of 2 speakers being made from a single microphone. The only thing the microphone is recording is the summed response of the entire room. All off-axis information is lost, all imaging is lost, all separation is lost, all transient information is lost - all the characteristics that make a quality speaker a quality speaker…

It is really no different than thinking you are getting a taste of driving a McLaren P1 by driving it in a PS4 game…
    Hey Dave I have a good question for you. I hear all the time on AVS forum and Audioholics forum too that good engineering can overcome using the best drivers. I hear that big companies such as Definitive technology, or Polk or SVS because of engineering can get away with not having the best drivers and the speaker will sound as good as speakers with the best drivers. Now I don't believe that, but what do you say to that?

Hey that's my thread! I haven't been on these forums much but still having a great time with my ascend 5 channel system (RAAL towers, Horizon, and Luna rears).

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Hey Dave I have a good question for you. I hear all the time on AVS forum and Audioholics forum too that good engineering can overcome using the best drivers. I hear that big companies such as Definitive technology, or Polk or SVS because of engineering can get away with not having the best drivers and the speaker will sound as good as speakers with the best drivers. Now I don't believe that, but what do you say to that?
    I wouldn't lump SVS in with those much larger companies - SVS isn't much larger than we are - and we have been designing speakers far longer...

That said, I absolutely do not agree with that statement and I really haven't seen that said anywhere - but I am rarely on any forums these days besides our own.

An experienced engineer can certainly design a speaker using mediocre drivers to sound good. Perhaps even better than an inexperienced engineer using the best drivers.

However, if that same engineer used better drivers - he would certainly produce a speaker that sounded better than the model using the mediocre drivers.

One cannot engineer around poor performing drivers -- one can only do so much in a crossover and there is no engineer in the world who can design a dome tweeter to perform like a true ribbon tweeter, or vice versa.

Every component in a speaker is equally important, woofer - tweeter - crossover - cabinet, all contribute to the overall performance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I wouldn't lump SVS in with those much larger companies - SVS isn't much larger than we are - and we have been designing speakers far longer...

That said, I absolutely do not agree with that statement and I really haven't seen that said anywhere - but I am rarely on any forums these days besides our own.

An experienced engineer can certainly design a speaker using mediocre drivers to sound good. Perhaps even better than an inexperienced engineer using the best drivers.

However, if that same engineer used better drivers - he would certainly produce a speaker that sounded better than the model using the mediocre drivers.

One cannot engineer around poor performing drivers -- one can only do so much in a crossover and there is no engineer in the world who can design a dome tweeter to perform like a true ribbon tweeter, or vice versa.

Every component in a speaker is equally important, woofer - tweeter - crossover - cabinet, all contribute to the overall performance.
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't know SVS wasn't much larger than Ascend. You learn something new everyday I guess. Interesting info in general, thanks.

So what color do most people get? I have only had black speakers, oh wait no I had silver aluminum speaker once too. I'm really digging the Satin espresso color. Is it dark enough that it doesn't distract? At first I was gonna pay for piano black, but I'd kinda like something different than black. What does everyone think of the Satin espresso color?

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    So what color do most people get? I have only had black speakers, oh wait no I had silver aluminum speaker once too. I'm really digging the Satin espresso color. Is it dark enough that it doesn't distract? At first I was gonna pay for piano black, but I'd kinda like something different than black. What does everyone think of the Satin espresso color?
    Satin espresso is my favorite color. With the lights off, it's very dark
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Satin espresso is my favorite color. With the lights off, it's very dark
    It is really, really nice. Might be nice to try something different like this color. I couldn't do the natural color even though it's nice, it would distract me when watching a movie. I never understood white speakers but to each thier own.

I love the naturals. I like the fact that it really shows off the bamboo when you look at it. No distraction at all when watching anything, but like you said, to each their own. There are other things in the system that are or would be more distracting.

I couldn't do piano black. The possible reflections would be a distraction.

Now, when the ambient light catches the drivers through the grille just right, I love that.
    -curtis

Well I might be a little bit closer to ordering 3 Sierra 2's to start. My wife I believe just got a new job paying better. I get a 3 dollar an hour raise my self in Feb. That may be when my order comes in?