Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Disclaimer I really love the speakers I have now, looking to upgrade down the line. I have Definitive Technology Studio monitor 65 mains, and center channel, Studio monitor 55 surrounds. You probably guessed I'm a huge fan of bookshelf speakers. I've been researching and looking at different speaker brands and types. I'm between the above brands. With Ascend I was at first thinking of Sierra 2 mains and center, sierra 1 surrounds, then I was thinking why not go the extra mile and go 5 Sierra 2's. Would that just be overkill, any other combination suggestions? Any thoughts on these brands, and what they do as compared to each other would great? Thanks for any help or info.

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    With Ascend I was at first thinking of Sierra 2 mains and center, sierra 1 surrounds, then I was thinking why not go the extra mile and go 5 Sierra 2's. Would that just be overkill, any other combination suggestions?
    I'm running exactly that right now. Sierra-2 mains and center, and Sierra-1s as surrounds, with a pair of Rythmik LVX12 subs. So I'm somewhat prejudiced.

If I were buying today, I'd do almost the same thing, replacing the Sierra-1 surrounds with Lunas. Since the Lunas sound almost exactly like 2s, that's like 5 Sierra 2s. Except the Lunas are even smaller.

No, I don't think it's overkill. Unless you think knocking your socks off is overkill.

I agree with Bruce regarding Sierra Lunas as Surround speakers. I made my purchase of Sierra Towers, Horizon and Sierra 2s back in January. By that time the Lunas were not available yet. Two weeks ago got a pair of Lunas to take my 5.1 system to 7.1 and all I can say is the Lunas are fantastic speakers for Surround duties. If I have to make my purchase right now, I would go this time with Lunas for Surround and Surround Back. Bellow 80Hz the Lunas sound identical to the Sierra 2s which is amazing for such a small speaker.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies and advice. I keep reading on here about the Luna's but I don't see them on the website, what am I missing?
    The Sierra 2's sound really incredible. The way you guys describe them is awesome. Would you say they are equally good for music stereo/5.1 and Home theater? Detailed and accurate with both? Thanks for the info again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies and advice. I keep reading on here about the Luna's but I don't see them on the website, what am I missing?
    The Sierra 2's sound really incredible. The way you guys describe them is awesome. Would you say they are equally good for music stereo/5.1 and Home theater? Detailed and accurate with both? Thanks for the info again guys.
    The Luna's are not on the website yet, but they are available and info is in the Luna thread. They truly remarkable for their size.

That said, I have three Sierra-2's in front, with HTM-200SE's for surrounds. Rythmik F15HP is the sub. Music and HT sound fantastic. If I were to change anything, it would be to replace the HTM's with Lunas, but I will go 4K video first.
    -curtis

Thanks for the reply. I've been reading from different sources like Audioholics how awesome these Luna speakers are. 3 Sierra 1s and 2 Luna's for surrounds would be pretty potent. When they are on the website I'll be sure to read everything about them. Any thoughts Ascend acoustics speakers Vs the other speakers on my lost especially PSA? I really like the MT-110s too. Thanks again for all the replies.

Curtis,
    Don't rush in to 4K. Sony's newest camera is 6K....

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    3 x Sierra-2 across the front works great. Personally I would only get the Horizon if I had the towers.
    Excellent, I agree because I love having a bookshelf or regular speaker as the center. I really, really want to hear these Seirra 2's and the Luna's too.

I went from Def Techs (procinema 1000's) to the Sierra 2's across the front - definitely a huge improvement. Using HTM200's for F&R heights, and Def Tech bipolars as surrounds (at least until tomorrow when another pair of HTM200's arrive :-)).

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I went from Def Techs (procinema 1000's) to the Sierra 2's across the front - definitely a huge improvement. Using HTM200's for F&R heights, and Def Tech bipolars as surrounds (at least until tomorrow when another pair of HTM200's arrive :-)).
    Well there is a close situation. I think the SM 65s are a bit of a higher up speaker on in the Def Tech lineup but it's a good start. Just how detailed are the Sierra 2's? How does that RAAL ribbon tweeter sound? Are we taking serious clarity and detail?