Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

Default Re: PSA, Aperion, Salk or Ascend upgrade questions

PSA can play louder, that's about it. Sierra-2 will have more detail and clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    My guess is that you would, in fact, find the Sierra-2s a huge step up from the DefTechs. My guess is you would also find the Salks to be a huge step up. Not so sure about the PSAs, though.
    Thank you for the reply and input. My guess is your correct because Ascend uses better drivers, period. Better driver, that RAAL Ribbon tweeter should be a very healthy step up. Would you guys say using a Sierra Horizon is a better option than a third Sierra 2? I like using a bookshelf as a center though. Mine right now is vertical, not laying on its side or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    PSA can play louder, that's about it. Sierra-2 will have more detail and clarity.
    Thank you also for the reply. Detail and clarity are exactly what I'm looking for. As accurate and detailed, nuanced speaker I can afford.

3 x Sierra-2 across the front works great. Personally I would only get the Horizon if I had the towers.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    3 x Sierra-2 across the front works great. Personally I would only get the Horizon if I had the towers.
    Excellent, I agree because I love having a bookshelf or regular speaker as the center. I really, really want to hear these Seirra 2's and the Luna's too.

I went from Def Techs (procinema 1000's) to the Sierra 2's across the front - definitely a huge improvement. Using HTM200's for F&R heights, and Def Tech bipolars as surrounds (at least until tomorrow when another pair of HTM200's arrive :-)).

What city/state are you in? Maybe somebody around you has a pair you could listen to.

I live in NJ, and I'd like to do a reverse or 2 step on that idea. Listen to the Ascend speakers and they can come check out what my Def Techs can do. That way we get two sets of ears on both and maybe a consensus of some kind. That would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I went from Def Techs (procinema 1000's) to the Sierra 2's across the front - definitely a huge improvement. Using HTM200's for F&R heights, and Def Tech bipolars as surrounds (at least until tomorrow when another pair of HTM200's arrive :-)).
    Well there is a close situation. I think the SM 65s are a bit of a higher up speaker on in the Def Tech lineup but it's a good start. Just how detailed are the Sierra 2's? How does that RAAL ribbon tweeter sound? Are we taking serious clarity and detail?

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    I live in NJ, and I'd like to do a reverse or 2 step on that idea. Listen to the Ascend speakers and they can come check out what my Def Techs can do. That way we get two sets of ears on both and maybe a consensus of some kind. That would be cool.
    Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country. But there's got to be someone in your area with Ascends.

Last time I listened to Def Techs was years ago and I felt they were bass heavy and a bit tinny. But it looks like the new models are better.