Thread: Advice to improve 170s

Default Advice to improve 170s

Hi all, I'm trying to improve the sound of my 170SE L/R in my ht setup (center and surrounds are 200SE). The 170s are awesome but I feel like they're getting overshadowed by the ridiculously brilliant 200s. There are several problems with my set up, and I'd like some opinions as to what you think the most effective fixes would be. For example, I've got the 170s sitting directly on the media cabinet (not on stands) only about 8" from the wall, and the sitting position/couch opposite is directly in front of a reflective wall. Because of the 200s smaller woofers I think they are able to cut through better (plus the surrounds are on stands).

My question is: how much of an impact do you think getting stands, and adding a couple of acoustic panels behind the couch would really make? I know this might sound dumb but do you think my set up is causing the 170s to lose some definition on the low end? They still sounds great, mind you, I just want them to sound their best.

Any input appreciated. I can post some pics but the mobile version of the forum doesn't let me.
    Last edited by surroundnewbie; 07-27-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Hit post by accident

Default Re: Advice to improve 170s

One thing I tried last night that I read somewhere was to turn the 170s upside-down, with the woofer on top. This drastically reduced the boominess in the bass I was experiencing, the bass is significantly tighter and more present. I really don't have the space to add stands right now and with a little kitten jumping around I wouldn't risk it... But this is a great start and I'm excited to install the acoustic panels when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by surroundnewbie View Post
    Hi all, I'm trying to improve the sound of my 170SE L/R in my ht setup (center and surrounds are 200SE). The 170s are awesome but I feel like they're getting overshadowed by the ridiculously brilliant 200s. There are several problems with my set up, and I'd like some opinions as to what you think the most effective fixes would be. For example, I've got the 170s sitting directly on the media cabinet (not on stands) only about 8" from the wall, and the sitting position/couch opposite is directly in front of a reflective wall. Because of the 200s smaller woofers I think they are able to cut through better (plus the surrounds are on stands).

My question is: how much of an impact do you think getting stands, and adding a couple of acoustic panels behind the couch would really make? I know this might sound dumb but do you think my set up is causing the 170s to lose some definition on the low end? They still sounds great, mind you, I just want them to sound their best.

Any input appreciated. I can post some pics but the mobile version of the forum doesn't let me.
    Hi surroundnewbie -- are you able to post a picture of the front of your room so we can see the placement of the 170's?

Approximately how high are they off the ground?

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, Dave--The front speakers are 27" off the ground. Flipping the L/R with the woofer on top made a world of difference; I've ordered monitor isolation pads for L/C/R.

I installed two corning acoustic panels opposite the mains, to also absorb some of the reflections from the surrounds (it's only 8' from the front speakers to the opposite wall), and that helped noticeably. Have another few panels on order.

The sub lower right is not touching the table/printer over it. There's at least an inch clearance all around--but since this is a NYC apartment I don't rely much on the sub (yet).

IMG_20170730_183543 copy.jpg
    Marantz SR6010, Marantz UD5007, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (L/R), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 (C/SL/SR), Dayton 10" sub

Thanks, Dave--The front speakers are 27" off the ground. Flipping the L/R with the woofer on top made a world of difference; I've ordered monitor isolation pads for L/C/R.

I installed two corning acoustic panels opposite the mains, to also absorb some of the reflections from the surrounds (it's only 8' from the front speakers to the opposite wall), and that helped noticeably. Have another few panels on order.

The sub lower right is not touching the table/printer over it. There's at least an inch clearance all around--but since this is a NYC apartment I don't rely much on the sub (yet).
    Sounds like you are getting some bass issues, are you using Audyssey? What crossover point are you using?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Sounds like you are getting some bass issues, are you using Audyssey? What crossover point are you using?
    Sorry for the late reply David, we've had a series of crazy illnesses here, all better now....and thank you for taking the time with me! They are crossed at 80 now, as before... For a few days I forgot to reset after running Aud again, which was definitely part of the problem. The acoustic panels and foam monitor pads have helped with reflection and resonance tremendously. My system sounds truly perfect to my ears now, I wouldn't change a thing.... Except I might be ordering those S2s after all, because, umm, do I need a reason??? But I am totally in love with the 170SE/200 as a HT set up. The laid back precision of your designs are just sublime. I would like to find someone in NYC with sierras I could at least audition first... I'll post a query.

Tbh, I've been thinking of trying different speakers for dedicated 2-channel use, like Tekton, Zu, or Revel, but my lowly entry level system punches so far above its weight class that I don't know if I want to bother at this point. My studio buddy who uses ATC monitors was impressed, and my audiophile friend with the $8K speakers was raving about how refined the high end was on the 200s, and how rare that is for lower priced speakers. So I think the Sierras are next. You deserve all the praise you get...Thank you!!

Sorry for the late reply David, we've had a series of crazy illnesses here, all better now....and thank you for taking the time with me! They are crossed at 80 now, as before... For a few days I forgot to reset after running Aud again, which was definitely part of the problem. The acoustic panels and foam monitor pads have helped with reflection and resonance tremendously. My system sounds truly perfect to my ears now, I wouldn't change a thing.... Except I might be ordering those S2s after all, because, umm, do I need a reason??? But I am totally in love with the 170SE/200 as a HT set up. The laid back precision of your designs are just sublime. I would like to find someone in NYC with sierras I could at least audition first... I'll post a query.

Tbh, I've been thinking of trying different speakers for dedicated 2-channel use, like Tekton, Zu, or Revel, but my lowly entry level system punches so far above its weight class that I don't know if I want to bother at this point. My studio buddy who uses ATC monitors was impressed, and my audiophile friend with the $8K speakers was raving about how refined the high end was on the 200s, and how rare that is for lower priced speakers. So I think the Sierras are next. You deserve all the praise you get...Thank you!!
    Thank you for the nice comments and I am happy that you have everything sounding great. Just wait until you hear the Sierra-2's!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com