Thread: Advice to improve 170s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Advice to improve 170s

Hi all, I'm trying to improve the sound of my 170SE L/R in my ht setup (center and surrounds are 200SE). The 170s are awesome but I feel like they're getting overshadowed by the ridiculously brilliant 200s. There are several problems with my set up, and I'd like some opinions as to what you think the most effective fixes would be. For example, I've got the 170s sitting directly on the media cabinet (not on stands) only about 8" from the wall, and the sitting position/couch opposite is directly in front of a reflective wall. Because of the 200s smaller woofers I think they are able to cut through better (plus the surrounds are on stands).

My question is: how much of an impact do you think getting stands, and adding a couple of acoustic panels behind the couch would really make? I know this might sound dumb but do you think my set up is causing the 170s to lose some definition on the low end? They still sounds great, mind you, I just want them to sound their best.

Any input appreciated. I can post some pics but the mobile version of the forum doesn't let me.
    Last edited by surroundnewbie; 07-27-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Hit post by accident