Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Left and Right Sierra 2s with ribbon Horizon center

Default Front Left and Right Sierra 2s with ribbon Horizon center

Anyone have this combo? I don't have room for 3 Horizons but I have a very good spot for a center Horizon , should I go with LRC Sierra 2s or L R Sierra 2s and a center ribbon Horizon?
    Thanks
    Bunch of speakers

Default Re: Front Left and Right Sierra 2s with ribbon Horizon center

The Horizon is such an excellent center speaker it is very hard to not recommend it. If you have the space, I think you should go that route. Make sure all speakers are using the RAAL tweeter, not just the Horizon.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks
    The Sierra 2s do have a Raal tweeter
    Bunch of speakers

Indeed, forgot that the Sierra-2 is RAAL only, whereas the towers can be NrT or RAAL, so yes, you're going the right route.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
    Anyone have this combo? I don't have room for 3 Horizons but I have a very good spot for a center Horizon , should I go with LRC Sierra 2s or L R Sierra 2s and a center ribbon Horizon?
    Thanks
    On AV Rant 492 at around 2:01:50 Rob H., the co-host, speaks to when it is helpful to go with the Horizon or the Sierra tower over the Sierra 2s. He owns both speakers and is a very critical listener, so I think it might be helpful to you. I found what he said very helpful. He advocates for letting room size determine when to go with the bookshelf speakers over the towers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JQRK32bIQ
    Last edited by N Boros; 07-08-2016 at 01:21 PM.

I will add that the Sierra-2 as a center is no slouch.
    -curtis

Is this mainly for home theater? For multi-channel music? For a combination of both?

And how big is the room?

For home theater and a big-ish room, I'd probably say the Horizon center is the way to go - can play louder and more dynamic.

For a small-ish room, or for mostly multi-channel music, there are advantages to having identical speakers all around, in which case the Sierra 2 as a center would be appropriate.

For in-between small and big room, and mixed use for music and home theater, it's a tough call.

Small room ,11x11' with 8 foot ceiling , the center speaker will be in a cabinet so the front porting of the Horizon will work out better .
    Bunch of speakers

I have the L R Sierra 2s and a center ribbon Horizon in my theater room. Before I ordered my speakers from Ascend, I thought that the Horizon would be over kill for my set up. But, the great reviews I read about the Horizon, convinced me to purchase the best center speaker. Is it over kill? Some will say yes. If I had it to do all over again, would I order the Horizon for my center speaker? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kef3992 View Post
    I have the L R Sierra 2s and a center ribbon Horizon in my theater room. Before I ordered my speakers from Ascend, I thought that the Horizon would be over kill for my set up. But, the great reviews I read about the Horizon, convinced me to purchase the best center speaker. Is it over kill? Some will say yes. If I had it to do all over again, would I order the Horizon for my center speaker? Absolutely.
    Do the Sierra 2s and center Horizon blend well ?
    Bunch of speakers