Thread: Sierra-2: YPAO concerns?

Default Sierra-2: YPAO concerns?

I remember there was a thread about some helpful tips re: S2 and Audyssey, are there any tips for YPAO?

Should I forego YPAO and just use test tones?

Default Re: Sierra-2: YPAO concerns?

I use YPAO with my RAAL towers and Sierra-2 center. It works well but tends to overdo a bit to my taste. After YPAO I manually adjust the EQ curves for each speaker to pull back a couple dB on boosts. Sounds more natural to me.

In any case it sounds better than w/o YPAO.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    I remember there was a thread about some helpful tips re: S2 and Audyssey, are there any tips for YPAO?

Should I forego YPAO and just use test tones?

I have Sierra Towers and Horizon w/RAAL and a Yamaha RX-A3040 AVR. After running YPAO, I change the Pattern PEQ setting from Flat (default) to Natural. Although I like the sound of both settings, Natural gives a warmer sound, which I like the better. Other than that, I don't change any of the EQ curves. I agree with YPAO sounds better than without.

Sorry, I don't know of any YPAO tips threads.

Jack

I have the RX-A2050, and I agree with Jack's comment regarding the warmer sound of "Natural". Listen to each of the options and pick the one you like best. In my case "Flat" is slightly too bright, and "Natural" is too warm. I just tweak the flat PEQ results just a bit, effectively driving it to be about halfway between Natural and Flat. I could just as easily tweak the "Natural" PEQ and go the other way.

The other thing to make sure of: Assuming you use a subwoofer, change all speaker settings to "Small" so the receiver engages its bass management.

Here are a couple web articles on YPAO and RSC. I haven't reviewed these in depth, so YMMV.

https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/10...dvanced-topic/

https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/11...dvanced-topic/

Good luck,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jack1949 View Post
    I have Sierra Towers and Horizon w/RAAL and a Yamaha RX-A3040 AVR. After running YPAO, I change the Pattern PEQ setting from Flat (default) to Natural. Although I like the sound of both settings, Natural gives a warmer sound, which I like the better. Other than that, I don't change any of the EQ curves. I agree with YPAO sounds better than without.

Sorry, I don't know of any YPAO tips threads.

Jack
    Last edited by Sbrom; 07-17-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Steve, thanks for the links! I'll have to check those out.

Jack

Thanks guys!

I have an A660, so I only have one PEQ setting. With the S2.....it sounds bright, tinny and harsh. I much prefer Off to PEQ, keeping the rest of the YPAO settings.

As anyone else had a similar experience? Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by Roen; 07-19-2017 at 05:15 AM.