Thread: Amplifiers For Sierra Towers With Raal Tweeters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amplifiers For Sierra Towers With Raal Tweeters

I am planning to purchase a pair of Sierra Towers with Raal Tweeters. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations for solid state and tube amplifiers that forum members have found to be an excellent match with the Towers. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Amplifiers For Sierra Towers With Raal Tweeters

Good question, I've got these speakers on my short list and have been wondering on amplification as well. As they go down to 4 ohms, I would think that many receivers need not apply, and I prefer separates myself.

On the second to last page you can see the impedance curve:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...on%20Tower.pdf

These speakers look like a very easy load to drive, where external amplification is not necessary unless one is interested in getting the absolute most output out of them. Or if one is hearing harshness on dynamic peaks, when using a receiver. In fact, Dave says the following just below that plot, "The Sierra Tower with RAAL ribbon is an easy load for any decent receiver or amplifier. " I say try it out with a reciever first. If it sounds fine, then you might be able to save a lot of money that could be spent on some other gear or content.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    Good question, I've got these speakers on my short list and have been wondering on amplification as well. As they go down to 4 ohms, I would think that many receivers need not apply, and I prefer separates myself.
    These are 8 ohm nominal speakers. Nearly all 8 ohm speakers will dip to down to 4 ohms at some point... The towers are a very easy load with excellent efficiency - really do not need anything special with regards to amplification.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com