Thread: HTM-200 SE or CBM-170 SE - surrounds for music in RAAL Tower system

Default HTM-200 SE or CBM-170 SE - surrounds for music in RAAL Tower system

Hello, looking for advice.

Which surround speaker (HTM-200 SE or CBM-170 SE) is recommend, given that they are presently the same price from Ascend?

Sound quality when playing Hi-Res discrete surround music is of paramount importance. Situations where the instrument and vocals may be arriving from the rear. Examples include SACD's from Jeff Beck, Billy Cobham, The Yes Album (blu-ray w/Steven Wilson mix), etc.

My present 5.1 system has L/R RAAL Towers, Sierra-2 Center, and dual Rythmik F8 subs. Surround speakers are cheapo Pioneer (Andrew Jones) BS-22's - these will be replaced.

Mounting and size are not of concern, both the Ascends will work. Rcvr is a Yamaha RX2050.

Thanks,
    Steve

Default Re: HTM-200 SE or CBM-170 SE - surrounds for music in RAAL Tower system

Quote Originally Posted by Sbrom View Post

Which surround speaker (HTM-200 SE or CBM-170 SE) is recommend, given that they are presently the same price from Ascend?

Sound quality when playing Hi-Res discrete surround music is of paramount importance. Situations where the instrument and vocals may be arriving from the rear. Examples include SACD's from Jeff Beck, Billy Cobham, The Yes Album (blu-ray w/Steven Wilson mix), etc.

My present 5.1 system has L/R RAAL Towers, Sierra-2 Center, and dual Rythmik F8 subs. Surround speakers are cheapo Pioneer (Andrew Jones) BS-22's - these will be replaced.

Mounting and size are not of concern, both the Ascends will work. Rcvr is a Yamaha RX2050.

Thanks,
    Steve
    The main difference is that the 170's can play a deeper, but are rear ported, so less mounting options.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The main difference is that the 170's can play a deeper, but are rear ported, so less mounting options.
    Thanks, that makes sense and helps me to make a decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Sbrom View Post

Thanks,
    Steve
    Curious why the Sierra-2 Center instead of the Horizon?

When I purchased a couple years ago, two factors led me to choose a Sierra-2 center. Cost, and physical size.

I'm happy with my choice. Would the Horizon sound better? Probably.

If I had a larger room (13x17x8 now) it would be more important to try the Horizon.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    Curious why the Sierra-2 Center instead of the Horizon?