Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some feedback

Default Looking for some feedback

Attached are 4 views of the domestic satin espresso Sierra-2. Domestic meaning these are the cabinets made here in the US that aren't yet listed on our website.

With our forthcoming new website, we plan on using these same 4 views for every speaker.

I think they look great but we are looking for some feedback, comments etc before we commit to these views...

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Looking for some feedback

I would always ike to see square-on views of the front of each model, with and without grill. I then use these to see how these speakers would look in an installation. With AR coming onto the scene, these photos may become even more desirable.

I do like the views but I would like if the background is totally pure white with only a small shadow on the bottom of the speakers. I will look cleaner when showed on the new website. Four weeks ago we did our photo shot session at Rythmik as well and we decided to do it the way I'm telling you. Also, we haven't decided yet on vertical or square photos. Here is a sample of both. This is the F18 Piano Black with silver cone and FV18 black oak.

F18-11.jpg

FV18-14.jpg
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Attached are 4 views of the domestic satin espresso Sierra-2. Domestic meaning these are the cabinets made here in the US that aren't yet listed on our website.

With our forthcoming new website, we plan on using these same 4 views for every speaker.

I think they look great but we are looking for some feedback, comments etc before we commit to these views...
    This is a toughie. Showing people what they need to see without going overboard isn't easy. And I'm sure that you'll get a huge variation in feedback. I'm not sure how much will be useful to you either. That said...

The people buying probably aren't buying on looks, at least not as a primary factor. I know I didn't -- I bought what was in stock and on sale, which turned out to be piano black. Not my favorite, but I'm not looking at it, I'm listening to it.

My wife OTOH, is very much interested in what it looks like, in particular what it looks like in her den. And what she sees when she's walking around the den is a speaker that's more or less at waist height -- so she sees a lot of the top. This is something your pictures go through some effort to avoid. Why? This is a question you really should have an answer to. Because often the spouses have veto power over a purchase such as this. So you should be thinking about selling to the spouses as well as selling to the buyer. You know this, yes?

I'm just sayin' that you have to look at this thing from different perspectives. You as the designer/manufacturer are proud of certain aspects and want to show those off. But you should restrain this instinct, because that's not what your website is trying to accomplish. What your website is trying to accomplish is sales. And there's usually two parts of these sales -- the person buying, and the spouse who may have veto power over the purchase. The buyer is probably more interested in the technical, and the spouse is probably more interested in the aesthetic. Not always, but more often than not.

So... prioritize. I'd put making the "main" pictures (the ones you first see on the Sierra 2 webpage for example) toward selling the buyer. Then I'd want the "beauty" shots a click away (so as not to clutter the Sierra 2 webpage) as a tool for the buyer to sell to the spouse. I'd save the "technical" shots for webpages farther removed where you give the technical details about construction and components -- where you can show off the stuff you, the designer/manufacturer, is really proud of.

I don't know if I'm being clear; I'm not the most articulate guy in writing.

Back to the four pix you show. I'd loose the second one. You want a perspective with a known stable horizon line -- so called "dutch angles" like this are used mainly to instill in the viewer a sense of unease and "wrongness". This is why you see them used in, say, horror movies, when the person is reaching out her hand (and it's almost always a her I'm sorry to say) toward that door knob to the door the audience knows she should not be opening. I'm just saying, no dutch angles.

Then, I'd raise the camera up relative to the speakers and show a view that includes some of the top. Because this is how people will see them in real life.

Other than that, I don't know what to advise.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    I do like the views but I would like if the background is totally pure white with only a small shadow on the bottom of the speakers. I will look cleaner when showed on the new website. Four weeks ago we did our photo shot session at Rythmik as well and we decided to do it the way I'm telling you. Also, we haven't decided yet on vertical or square photos. Here is a sample of both. This is the F18 Piano Black with silver cone and FV18 black oak.
    The sub pics look good Enrico. When you get a moment, can you please forward all of them to me so we can also them.

Agreed regarding the background. We will likely go all white with a small shadow.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Sure, Dave. I will send you a Dropbox link for you to download the pictures so you can use them in the new website as well.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    This is a toughie. Showing people what they need to see without going overboard isn't easy. And I'm sure that you'll get a huge variation in feedback. I'm not sure how much will be useful to you either. That said...

The people buying probably aren't buying on looks, at least not as a primary factor. I know I didn't -- I bought what was in stock and on sale, which turned out to be piano black. Not my favorite, but I'm not looking at it, I'm listening to it.

My wife OTOH, is very much interested in what it looks like, in particular what it looks like in her den. And what she sees when she's walking around the den is a speaker that's more or less at waist height -- so she sees a lot of the top. This is something your pictures go through some effort to avoid. Why? This is a question you really should have an answer to. Because often the spouses have veto power over a purchase such as this. So you should be thinking about selling to the spouses as well as selling to the buyer. You know this, yes?

I'm just sayin' that you have to look at this thing from different perspectives. You as the designer/manufacturer are proud of certain aspects and want to show those off. But you should restrain this instinct, because that's not what your website is trying to accomplish. What your website is trying to accomplish is sales. And there's usually two parts of these sales -- the person buying, and the spouse who may have veto power over the purchase. The buyer is probably more interested in the technical, and the spouse is probably more interested in the aesthetic. Not always, but more often than not.

So... prioritize. I'd put making the "main" pictures (the ones you first see on the Sierra 2 webpage for example) toward selling the buyer. Then I'd want the "beauty" shots a click away (so as not to clutter the Sierra 2 webpage) as a tool for the buyer to sell to the spouse. I'd save the "technical" shots for webpages farther removed where you give the technical details about construction and components -- where you can show off the stuff you, the designer/manufacturer, is really proud of.

I don't know if I'm being clear; I'm not the most articulate guy in writing.

Back to the four pix you show. I'd loose the second one. You want a perspective with a known stable horizon line -- so called "dutch angles" like this are used mainly to instill in the viewer a sense of unease and "wrongness". This is why you see them used in, say, horror movies, when the person is reaching out her hand (and it's almost always a her I'm sorry to say) toward that door knob to the door the audience knows she should not be opening. I'm just saying, no dutch angles.

Then, I'd raise the camera up relative to the speakers and show a view that includes some of the top. Because this is how people will see them in real life.

Other than that, I don't know what to advise.
    Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

As I understand it, you prefer a view more like this one:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/image...E_tl_ng_hr.jpg

I am honestly not sure why the vast majority of manufacturers post images of their speakers typically only showing 2 baffles, front and side. Top is rarely seen and I will definitely consider it.

To clarify, only one of these images will be shown on the actual product page, which will be the front & side view image with no grille (the last pic of the 4 posted). There will then be thumbnail images that a user can click on that will then change the main image to correspond with the thumbnail that was clicked on. In each view, the user will also be able to change the finish etc.

The dutch angle image, what we are calling the hero shot, gives a good view of the front baffle, top baffle, joinery, reveal, edge radius and a closer shot of the drivers. I have spent far too much time playing with different views to show all of these details in a single image and have come to the conclusion that this is the best camera angle to detail these features.

However, as mentioned, viewing this image will be an option that the user can click on only if desired. At present, the product page design is limited to 4 different views, each of which will be presented with all of the various finishes, cabinet options and even tweeter options if available. For example, with Sierra-2 (with 5 domestic cabinet finish options and 4 standard cabinet finish options) - that ends up being a total of 36 different images that can be viewed. It is really a huge undertaking but we want to get this right.

I will investigate adding another view that is similar to the main product view but with the camera a bit higher so that it includes some of the top baffle...

Additionally, the new site also has a wonderful photo gallery of customer supplied images so that viewers can scroll through and see the various speakers in many different settings.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    Sure, Dave. I will send you a Dropbox link for you to download the pictures so you can use them in the new website as well.
    Great - thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

The only thing I’d want added to a head on pic is an object for scale. A jewel case, ruler, something we all know so that we can picture it. For me the size of the Luna’s and the size of the Horizon could use something like that.

All those pics look great. I'd like to see a shot straight from the front as well.