Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Recommend AVR Crossover Frequency?

Default Re: Sierra-2 Recommend AVR Crossover Frequency?

Any recommendations for a sub-bass heavy music test track?

Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    Any recommendations for a sub-bass heavy music test track?
    For the best test tracks, you want stuff that has a lot in the crossover region. That way you know how well the sub and speakers are integrated. You shouldn't be able to tell when the sound crosses over between the sub and speakers.

I really like the Sheffield Labs "Drum and Track Disc". Also google subwoofer test tones. Just be careful with what you are doing. Lower frequencies don't "sound" loud. Many people turn up the volume only to damage their equipment.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    For the best test tracks, you want stuff that has a lot in the crossover region. That way you know how well the sub and speakers are integrated. You shouldn't be able to tell when the sound crosses over between the sub and speakers.

I really like the Sheffield Labs "Drum and Track Disc". Also google subwoofer test tones. Just be careful with what you are doing. Lower frequencies don't "sound" loud. Many people turn up the volume only to damage their equipment.
    I think I've settled on 90 Hz. Not too boomy on movies, but helps out the S2's in that 90-100 range.

80-90 worked well for me too when i had the 2's
    Ascend Sierra ELX Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra ELX Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem D2v 3D | Parasound Halo A51 | Schiit Yggdrasil OG | OPPO 105D

I would suggest the Tron: Legacy soundtrack. Amazing sub test stuff.
    -Ben

I played around with the crossover some more from my previous 90 Hz setting.

I had a track that played a lot of notes in quick succession in the 60-80 Hz range (K.A.R.D. - Don't Recall). It was revealing. The S2 just handled that range with much more clarity than the S1500.

My crossover is now set at 60.

I played around with the crossover some more from my previous 90 Hz setting.

I had a track that played a lot of notes in quick succession in the 60-80 Hz range (K.A.R.D. - Don't Recall). It was revealing. The S2 just handled that range with much more clarity than the S1500.

My crossover is now set at 60.
    I'm surprised by this.

But then again, that entire region is very dependent on room acoustics and speaker and subwoofer placement within the room. Your subwoofer may not be in a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    I'm surprised by this.

But then again, that entire region is very dependent on room acoustics and speaker and subwoofer placement within the room. Your subwoofer may not be in a good spot.
    I did a sub crawl and that's where I ended up putting the sub.

For music 60 Hz is preferred, as the sub gets a bit boomy during music, nor does it decay as quickly as the S2. I can't get the hot bass I like without the boom unless I lower the crossover. I could possibly dial down the gain and leave it at 80, but then I lose the rumble.

For movies, 80 Hz is preferred, the extra boom and the persistence of those frequencies make explosions and action feel like they're assaulting the walls of the room. See GoT S07E04, last battle scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    I'm surprised by this.

Now that I have the F15HP-SE, the difference in sub accuracy is noticeable. I can easily cross this sub at 80 Hz, where I was struggling to with the S1500. I'm very happy with the switch, even if it did cost me almost 50% more!

The K.A.R.D. - Don't Recall test showed much more control, with less boominess in the 61-80 Hz range, as the notes flow smoothly in quick succession.

Now that I have the F15HP-SE, the difference in sub accuracy is noticeable. I can easily cross this sub at 80 Hz, where I was struggling to with the S1500. I'm very happy with the switch, even if it did cost me almost 50% more!

The K.A.R.D. - Don't Recall test showed much more control, with less boominess in the 61-80 Hz range, as the notes flow smoothly in quick succession.
    That is great, that you can hear the difference between the two. Is there a noticeable difference in output capabilities between the S1500 and the F15HP, when watching movies?