Thread: Sierra Tower, Acoustic Zen Adagios, Salk Veracity ST Speakers

Default Sierra Tower, Acoustic Zen Adagios, Salk Veracity ST Speakers

I am very much interested in the Sierra Tower Speakers but I am also considering the Acoustic Zen Adagio and Salk Veracity ST Speakers. Does anyone have any experience with these other 2 speakers? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Sierra Tower, Acoustic Zen Adagios, Salk Veracity ST Speakers

The Acoustic Zens look nice, but I can't find any measurements on them or on any other of his models. They appear to be competently designed. But I can't get past the fact that the company owner, Robert Lee, got his start selling high-end cables - and continues to sell them to this day (even including them inside his speakers). It's an area of the audio business that I find appalling, and it's a turnoff to me. Personally I wouldn't buy his speakers for that reason alone. That may seem like an extreme position, but that's the way I feel about the pervasiveness of snake oil in audio. I don't like to support it.

Default Re: Sierra Tower, Acoustic Zen Adagios, Salk Veracity ST Speakers

Hi Patterson, it sounds as if you've narrowed it down to a few good choices.

Regarding the Sierra Towers - if you go that route please spend the extra money for the RAAL tweeters. Keep in mind you have a 30 day trial and learning to love/live with a speaker does take time.

Regarding the Salk Veracity. Salk makes beautifully crafted fine sounding speakers. I think the new Song 3A may be a better choice than the Veracity ST and it is less expensive. I heard the 3A's at Axpona powered by modestly priced Schiit electronics and was quite impressed. Depending on model and finish Salk may offer a 30 day return policy. Send Jim Salk an e-mail. Like Dave Fabrikant, Jim Salk will help you out to the best of his ability.

Regarding the Adagios. I heard these at a dealer in Chicago (just before Axpona in 2016) and was not overly impressed. At Axpona I heard the Cresecendos and was blown away. Of course the Cresendos were $18k at the time. I was lead to believe the sound of the two would be closer with the Crescendos playing louder and deeper, but they were nowhere near similar sounding. Must have been something off when I auditioned the Adagios as they have gotten so many good reviews.

I would not buy anything (especially speakers) without living with them for at least a week - a month is better. Trust your own ears and not what reviewers or what guys like me say. The Sierra Towers with RAAL look great, sound great, cost under $3k and have a 30 day money back guarantee. Not many of these up for sale used which is a good indication. Good luck with your search - thats part of the fun.