Thread: Question re RAAL Towers

Default Question re RAAL Towers

Hi, I presently own Axiom m60 v2 speakers. Am looking to upgrade as I find that I frequently get Listening fatigue from the sometimes harsh high end of the Axioms. I know that a lot of the problem rests with the quality of the underling CD, but that issue will be present no matter which speaker I choose. Am thinking of the Ascend Towers with the RAAL tweeters. I listen to rock, pop, jazz, country and vocal music--basically a fairly broad spectrum. How much of an upgrade would the Towers be over my current speakers? How do the Towers compare to the PSB T2, the monitor Audio Silver 10 and other speakers in the same price range? Anyb help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. gdvmlv

Default Re: Question re RAAL Towers

I can answer you question in terms of bookshelf speakers. For about 8 or 9 years I owned the Axiom M22s for fronts, VP150 as center and QS8s as surrounds. These were a huge step up in performance from my **** Acoustimass tiny satellite speakers. After a few years I noticed that my ears would ring after watching a movie at -30 or -35 dB. About 4 years ago I finally isolated the Axiom speakers as one of the main culprits. I didn't listen to anything in my car or elsewhere and just watching a 2 hour movie was enough for my ears to be ringing like I just came from a live concert. So I sold them on eBay and upgraded to some Sierra 2s.

The sound of the M22s is very close to that of the M60s and the Sierra 2s are very close to the Sierra towers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. I can't say that my fatigue is 100% gone, but it has been significantly improved. I think that I have some mild tinnitus. I've read recently that doing a high magnesium diet for several months might help. Anyways, there wasn't just an improvement in listening fatigue. These Ascend speakers are better than my previous Axiom speakers in just about every regard: Imaging, depth of soundstage, transient response, and wider horizontal dispersion. You read this all the time in speaker reviews, but switching to the Ascend speakers I could easily pick up new details and sounds within commonly known sources regularly. I was nearly done with my surround sound system when I had the Axioms. Selling them only allowed me to the Sierra 2s as my front speakers. I am very happy with the trade. I plan to expand to a full 7 speaker Ascend surround setup and get some neutral in ceiling speakers for a full Atmos setup.

I guess I've even drank the Koolaid on Rythmik as well. I A/Bd letting a 50 and 80 Hz crossover on my Sierra 2s. It is a noticeable difference between the bass on some tracks with letting the Sierra 2s handle those frequencies vs. my Outlaw subwoofer. I can hear details that were smeared by the Outlaw subwoofer, showing me just how special the woofer is in the Sierra 2s, when the tweeter usually is what is talked about most. The midrange and bass is just as good as the highs. It is a very balanced speaker. I now need to upgrade my Outlaw sub to a Rythmik, so that I get a good match with my Sierra 2s. Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Last edited by N Boros; 06-30-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I can answer you question in terms of bookshelf speakers. For about 8 or 9 years I owned the Axiom M22s for fronts, VP150 as center and QS8s as surrounds. These were a huge step up in performance from my **** Acoustimass tiny satellite speakers. After a few years I noticed that my ears would ring after watching a movie at -30 or -35 dB. About 4 years ago I finally isolated the Axiom speakers as one of the main culprits. I didn't listen to anything in my car or elsewhere and just watching a 2 hour movie was enough for my ears to be ringing like I just came from a live concert. So I sold them on eBay and upgraded to some Sierra 2s.

The sound of the M22s is very close to that of the M60s and the Sierra 2s are very close to the Sierra towers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. I can't say that my fatigue is 100% gone, but it has been significantly improved. I think that I have some mild tinnitus. I've read recently that doing a high magnesium diet for several months might help. Anyways, there wasn't just an improvement in listening fatigue. These Ascend speakers are better than my previous Axiom speakers in just about every regard: Imaging, depth of soundstage, transient response, and wider horizontal dispersion. You read this all the time in speaker reviews, but switching to the Ascend speakers I could easily pick up new details and sounds within commonly known sources regularly. I was nearly done with my surround sound system when I had the Axioms. Selling them only allowed me to the Sierra 2s as my front speakers. I am very happy with the trade. I plan to expand to a full 7 speaker Ascend surround setup and get some neutral in ceiling speakers for a full Atmos setup.

I guess I've even drank the Koolaid on Rythmik as well. I A/Bd letting a 50 and 80 Hz crossover on my Sierra 2s. It is a noticeable difference between the bass on some tracks with letting the Sierra 2s handle those frequencies vs. my Outlaw subwoofer. I can hear details that were smeared by the Outlaw subwoofer, showing me just how special the woofer is in the Sierra 2s, when the tweeter usually is what is talked about most. The midrange and bass is just as good as the highs. It is a very balanced speaker. I now need to upgrade my Outlaw sub to a Rythmik, so that I get a good match with my Sierra 2s. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. Great information. I appreciate the help. gdvmlv

Please see an audiologist/ENT Doctor before trying a high Mg diet or other internet cure.

The Raals are the most detailed yet smooth tweeters I've ever heard. Not bright or harsh in the least. I've listened for several hours at a time with no fatigue.

My preference (for these three) would be Sierra Towers with RAAL, PSB, and Monitor in that order. I think the gap is substantial between the three. I really like the PSB T3 but they are $7500/pair and like really expensive electronics. All three are available with at least a 30 day trial from internet dealers. If you cant audition the PSB and Monitor locally you can try them on a 30 day trial and compare - if that doesn't tilt your credit card. Good luck with the search.