Thread: Anthem MRX 520 vs Emotiva XMC-1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anthem MRX 520 vs Emotiva XMC-1

Hey Guys,

I just placed an order for the Sierra 2s, and depending if they work out, I will likely get the Sierra 2 center for my 3.1 setup.

I have no desire at this time to go to 5.1 or greater. My main focus with this setup will be 50/50 music and movies.

Looking at the Anthem, it be less clutter with no amps. I have heard good things about ARC and it is one of the biggest selling point for me vs cheaper AVRs that have Audyessy. This setup is also cheaper than the Emotiva.

I have read some good things about the XMC-1 and the biggest selling point for me again is the correction software, DIRAC Live. I have read that it is a setup from ARC. The largest negative obviously is price as even a used XMC-1 with upgraded HDMI board will cost ~1800. I would still need an amplifier.

How big of a difference is there between ARC and DIRAC live? Is it worth the cost and more clutter?

Tuan

Default Re: Anthem MRX 520 vs Emotiva XMC-1

I've not heard the Emotiva with DIRAC so can't comment vis-a-vis ARC. I use an Anthem MRX720 and ARC works really well in my room.

You could also look for a used Anthem MRX x10 if you are also considering a used Emotiva XMC-1 and no plans to go beyond 5.1. I'm also assuming you do not plan to add ATMOS since you are looking at the MRX520.

Thanks for the reply!

I have looked at the older Anthem receivers but I have a 4k TV so would like to stick to the newer models. Are the internal amps on the Anthem sufficient for the Sierras?

makes sense on the newer models as you have a 4K tv.

I use external amps as I have had them for some time. However, the amps in the Anthem receivers are supposed to be very good from what I've read and should easily drive the Sierra's.