Thread: Which Rythmik Damping Setting Most Closely Matches Sierra 2?

Default Which Rythmik Damping Setting Most Closely Matches Sierra 2?

I have Sierra 2s as my main speakers for use in my home theater. I mostly watch movies and TV on my system. I'm planning to get a sealed Rythmik sub, since Dave and Brian have both said that the transient response of the Rythmik subs matches closely with the Ascend speakers, especially the Sierra 2s and others with the RAAL ribbon tweeter.

I know that with TVs, dynamic/torch mode is what draws our eyes to televisions, almost out of instinct. It is only after we live with the television in a accurate setting (or better yet having it calibrated) that when we switch back to dynamic/torch, we will notice how inaccurate the picture mode is. To a similar extent with subwoofers used for movies we are likely more drawn to fuller/thicker bass as opposed to leaner/agile bass. But, the highest damping setting is probably most accurate, because it is ringing the least of all the other choices. On the other hand it doesn't make sense to use the highest damping setting on the subwoofer if the Sierra 2s bass more closely matches a mid or high damping setting. The speaker subwoofer transition should be seamless.

Because my focus is more on movies, I will likely get a pair of the larger sealed Rythmik subs. I'm curious which damping setting on the sealed Rythmik will most closely match the transient response of the Sierra 2? I'm planning to set it and leave it there, unless after a couple of months I am still not happy with the sound.

Default Re: Which Rythmik Damping Setting Most Closely Matches Sierra 2?

I had the s2's for a short period. I would say all the ascends closely match the high damping. With that I haven't notice that the damping setting effects the transition at all. However I keep flip flopping between 14 high and 14 mid will depend on your room gain, and taste. If you like it real loud enable that with the rumble filter still with 20 high/mid is a good compromise and you'll get a few more decibles out of the sealed offerings. I would recommend a pair, I have one F15hp and hind site two E15's would have been too tight a fit but would have got me where I want to be. I'm waiting to see what the F18HP can do.
    Ascend Sierra ELX Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra ELX Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem D2v 3D | Parasound Halo A51 | Schiit Yggdrasil OG | OPPO 105D

FWIW. I use an F15HP with my Sierra-2s crossed at 80hz, 14hz high damp. It is seemless!

Thanks guys. I was guessing high damping, just wanted to confirm with others first. I will likely set it and leave it there.

Eyecatcher,

Brian already posted some plots and talked about the upcoming F18hp subwoofer in this thread a while ago:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...o-Ryhmik/page5

Things may have changed slightly since then, but I can't imagine drastic changes.