Thread: Sierra 1 or Sierra 2 for an 8 x 6 x 10 nook?

Default Sierra 1 or Sierra 2 for an 8 x 6 x 10 nook?

Hello! Total and complete noob here looking for a bit of guidance. I am looking to upgrade my listening station from a pair of AudioEngine A5+ and was pointed towards Ascend from another forum.

I'd be using these for audio only - probably 75% vinyl/25% streaming audio and probably 75% directed/25% ambient listening. They would be in a dining nook in a apt repurposed for my office space.

Would a pair of Sierra 2s overwhelm that small of a space? Or would either work? I wouldn't mind futureproofing the purchase somewhat by going towards a pair of Sierra 2s as long as they'd work in the current space.

Appreciate any guidance you fine folks would be able to provide!

Default Re: Sierra 1 or Sierra 2 for an 8 x 6 x 10 nook?

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazebass View Post
    Hello! Total and complete noob here looking for a bit of guidance. I am looking to upgrade my listening station from a pair of AudioEngine A5+ and was pointed towards Ascend from another forum.

I'd be using these for audio only - probably 75% vinyl/25% streaming audio and probably 75% directed/25% ambient listening. They would be in a dining nook in a apt repurposed for my office space.

Would a pair of Sierra 2s overwhelm that small of a space? Or would either work? I wouldn't mind futureproofing the purchase somewhat by going towards a pair of Sierra 2s as long as they'd work in the current space.

Appreciate any guidance you fine folks would be able to provide!
    They wouldn't overwhelm your small space. The Luna's would work as well but have less bass.
    Nate

i use my S2's for near field listening and they are awesome. Not overwhelming at all, and perform well across music genres and at lower volumes. The detail is something not to be missed!

Thank you both for the response. I had definitely fallen into the "Sierra - 2 is bigger/better/faster/stronger than Sierra -1" fallacy and have done a lot of reading since then. I think I will aim for the Sierra-2s.

How will you place the speakers? On a desk, speakers stands? How far from the walls?

If you are placing them on a desk, or up against a wall, the Luna may be better for you.

They will be on speaker stands about 3' - 4' away. About 9" from the walls, but there is flexibility here.

Either the Luna or Sierra-2 should work fine. The Sierra-2 will have deeper and stronger bass. The difference between the Sierra-1 and 2 is about clarity and detail, especially in the high frequencies.

Thanks! I think I have this figured out now.