Thread: RAAL tweeter

Default RAAL tweeter

Hello,

Just trying to understand the differences in RAAL used in Sierra 2 vs others

On Sierra 2, RAAL is somewhat modified 70-10 correct?

What about the Horizon and Sierra tower, it looks slightly wider in those. Is it a lot better than what is on Sierra 2 ?

I really like the tweeter on my Sierra 2, so trying to figure what the potential gains are by upgrading to a bigger RAAL

Thanks!

Default Re: RAAL tweeter

Yes the Raal on the Sierra 2 is customized. However, I don't believe the details have ever been published. Dave spent quite a bit of time with Raal to get the tweeter to perform exactly as he wanted it and those details are kept confidential.

The Raal in the tower and horizon is larger and in most ways more capable. The larger Raal can play a bit louder and also lower in frequency. However, it wouldn't make much sense to have that Raal in the Sierra-2 as the Raal it already has perfectly ​matches the capabilities of the woofer in the Sierra-2.

Now if you had a larger Sierra-2 with dual woofers and the Raal from the tower, that might be something.

Thanks!!

I have heard some criticism on some YT vids that Sierra 2 woofer cant keep up with the RAAL and that midrange is not as good (probably why towers have better mids).

I don't personally hear any of those flaws on my Sierra 2, and it sounds just lovely to me.

I would be interested to know what version of RAAL is used on the towers and Horizon and how it performs compared to RAAL on the Sierra 2.

The tweeter on the Tower and Horizon is based on the 70-20XR.
    I know the Sierra-2 tweeter was a joint development with Dave and Raal.
    The woofer in the Sierra-2 is just as great as the tweeter IMO.

The tower (especially with Raal) is a step up in performance from the Sierra-2, as it should be for another $1,200. But I do not find the Sierra-2 lacking in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
    Thanks!!

I have heard some criticism on some YT vids that Sierra 2 woofer cant keep up with the RAAL and that midrange is not as good (probably why towers have better mids).

I don't personally hear any of those flaws on my Sierra 2, and it sounds just lovely to me.

I would be interested to know what version of RAAL is used on the towers and Horizon and how it performs compared to RAAL on the Sierra 2.
    Not sure what these folks are listening to, and perhaps they lack proper room correction. My S'2s are very detailed, really shine across the board and are so accurate, I'm in the process of hooking up my DAW to them to mix music!

Thanks!!

I honestly would not give any credence to youtube speaker reviewers. I don't think we have ever had a single Sierra-2 customer comment that the S2 woofer can't keep up with the S2 tweeter. In fact, I personally feel the S2 woofer is the star attraction (as good as the S2 ribbon tweeter is)

Yes, our towers will have an overall better midrange, and this is due to being a very well designed 3-way speaker with a very low mass dedicated midrange with an under hung voice coil - designed specifically for the mids.

The RAAL in our tower is also a better ribbon tweeter, it is based off the RAAL 70-20. It is a wider ribbon, with better damping and can handle a lower crossover point and greater dynamics - but the real advantage of this tweeter is how the ribbon diaphragm itself is damped. It is a unique feature to the 70-20, something not available on other RAAL's (or any other true ribbon tweeter I have ever evaluated). Unfortunately, I am bound by contractual obligation not to give away details of this.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hello,

Just trying to understand the differences in RAAL used in Sierra 2 vs others

On Sierra 2, RAAL is somewhat modified 70-10 correct?
    No, not at all based on the 70-10. RAAL used in the Sierra-2 is a fully custom ribbon tweeter jointly developed by RAAL and us. You can read about the development in our Sierra-2 thread.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank you Dave!

Just what i was looking for. Very helpful info!