Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Default Re: Am I crazy?

Looks like a VERY reflective, lively room to me. Bare floor, no carpeting, not even a rug. Bare walls, windows, no curtains.

Edit: Also, low ceiling parallel to floor. And two long parallel sidewalls.

Get a big blanket or comforter or sleeping bag (or several) and put them on the floor in between the speakers and listening position. Maybe hang some from side walls. See if you like the sound a little better that way.
    Last edited by Beave; 06-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.

I think I have a sheepskin rug I could put right in that area I'll try that.

I have to say, I think u are crazy - u know it is possible that even though u recognize the Sierra to be the better speakers, they simply don't work for your sources/environment/etc..

I don't want to derail your thread, but I absolutely have to say that some of the feedback u received simply rubs me the wrong way - u are a better man than me...

I think you're right. They're better speakers but they just aren't working in my admittedly bad space. I've kept A/Bing and I think I've decided I just cannot justify the price difference (only because I got this $1000 pair of paradigms for $100).

$1,000 pair of speakers for $100 is an incredible deal. It would be difficult for any speaker purchased at regular price to compete against that in a performance per dollar comparison.

And it was actually a better deal than that, the speakers were just under $1000 for the pair, and it came with a matching $500 sub and speaker stands all for $100... I picked these up to put in my office but just swapped them in my main setup before the Sierra Towers came and was blown away thinking they would just be a small step up from normal computer speakers, I had no idea they would be some much better than my old B0se towers.

I think if I get a dedicated listening room in my next place (looking to buy a home in the next couple years) I think I would love these speakers but I think they're too much for my bad space.

Just a couple of my observations.

1. When watching movies, you definitely want to use MCACC, or better yet an SPL meter so that all your speaker channels are at the same level. That's probably why when watching movies you're messing with the volume for center channel dialog. Also make sure that the center channel's tweeter is pointed ear level at the primary listening position. Make sure that the source material is being bitstreamed to the receiver so you're getting the multichannel track and that your reciever is processing that signal correctly. The Dolby Digital/True HD/DTS/Master HD should light up. If it's netflix the Dolby Digital +

2. For 2 channel listening, you're room seems to be poor for optimal acoustic performance. If you think bass is too much, then installing bass traps in the corners of the room. You can try using REW and manually calibrate the EQ as well, but you'll need a decent USB mic. The other thing is, the Paradigm Monitor 3 v3's are awesome speakers. Well worth the $100 you paid, and if new would cost $700-$800 a pair. Their neutral, efficient, have great extension for their size. You're really only missing the low end which is boosted in your listening room. So yeah, based on your room and listening preferences, for 2 channel listening, are the Sierra Tower's sounding 2000% better than the Paradigm's at $100, probably not, but do they sound 2 - 2.5x better at the $700 msrp, if you don't have a subwoofer. Probably. The last point is, yes there are diminishing returns to audio, but once you've heard better speakers, you'll miss that additional 10%-20%. That's been my experience anyways... I can always move forward and ignorance is bliss... but once I've heard better quality audio for a period of time, it's hard to go backwards.

A few points to ponder (based on more years of critical listening than I care to admit).

1. While reviews, awards, and other peoples opinion are nice, TRUST YOUR EARS! You have to live with these and Dave provides a very nice evaluation period and return policy.

2. The original post was two weeks ago today. I can't tell how much listening was done before the original post was made. In April I purchased a pair of Sierra 2s. At first I was a bit underwhelmed. Sometime between weeks 3-4 (averaging about ten hours of play a day - I wasn't always in the room) I feel these finally really broke in and their true potential shone through. Interesting enough at the end of the trial period was over I told Dave I liked the speakers, but for my listening room and musical tastes I needed the fuller bottom end the Towers provide. Dave told me that the Towers would not be available until July and allowed me to keep the Sierra 2s until I can take delivery on the Tower. I have absolutely fallen in love with the Sierra 2s and they are not going back. I'm still picking up the Towers when they become available again. Once again, I suggest holding judgement until you put a solid 150-200 hours on these.

3. Synergy. As sound reproduction is a chain of events the quality of sound may be limited by the weakest link. Keep in mind the room is the last link in the chain and there have been several comments about this ahead of mine. Please don't discount this however. I tried various electronics (solid state, tube, integrated, separates) with the Sierra 2s and got mixed results, so not every combination of components works. I recently found a deal on some solid state separates (class D amp no less) that perform so well that I am left speechless.

Audio nirvana is a journey. The path is different for each of us. Trial and error is inevitable. Discovery is a great part of this journey. Most of all trust your ears. The only golden ears that matter are yours.

Good luck with your journey.

Thank you both for the advice! I've tried 4 different speakers and the $100 Paradigms just sound right to my ears, if I had the space (and the budget...) to keep the towers I totally would but I honestly am totally surprised that these bookshelves do it for me! I found the matching center online for just over $100 and the bookshelves came with a matching 10" sub. So in my small room for just over $200 I can't believe how good they're working.

As you said its your ears that matter and while the towers do sound better, they don't sound better in my place with my equipment.

Besides being a new owner of Ascend speakers, I own a pair of Zu Audio speakers and it seems that guys seem to either really love or really hate the sound of these - no middle ground. There is no absolute best sounding speaker (or any other component) for all people, if there was there would only be one manufacturer at each price point and we would have a boring hobby. I think you're really lucky to found something at $100 meets your needs and satisfies you. If you decide to return these, use the extra money and go buy some music - that's what all this is about anyway. Over time your tastes and needs will change and I'm sure Ascend will be here to offer what i consider to be very high value products.

By the way, we're audiophiles. We're all crazy. Good luck.