Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atmos Speakers

Default Re: Atmos Speakers

Yep, that's the plan. Hope heights get close enough to the sound of overheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    Is Ascend planning to come out with ceiling bouncing Atmos speakers that would be placed on the bookshelves?

If not, what would be the best timbre matched Atmos speakers?
    I have a unique situation. My ceiling height is only about 7 feet tall in my theater room. That is the minimum recommended by Dolby for use with "Top" speakers. Many have said that the bouncing speakers don't work that well. Only a range of the higher frequencies can do this bouncing to some extent. So in ceiling or on ceiling speakers would be best and Dolby suggests Top Fronts or Top Rears for the best overhead coverage, that is also not distracting. The Top Fronts and Top Rears are supposed to be in a straight line with the Front speakers all the way to the Surround Backs.

I really wanted to go with Ascend HTM 200s, since I have Ascend speakers for my traditional 7 speakers, and just flush mount them so they they are buried in my drop ceiling. This is no problem at all. My hesitation here is that because of the low ceiling and the fact that I will have one row of seats for 6 people I am spreading my front speakers the widest of Dolby's guidelines of about 30 degree from center. This would put the angle of the HTM 200s at about 60 degees off axis in the primary seat, which is way too far off axis to be close to optimal.

I am now looking at an in ceiling speaker where the drivers are aim-able or maybe just the Focal Birds, which I would try to bury and aim in my drop ceiling. I don't think I would be able to angle and bury the Ascend speakers and have it look right and not be something that I will hit my head on, or I would just go with those.

If you have 8 foot ceilings or more and you don't have your front speakers widely spaced, then the HTM 200s mounted on the ceiling should be perfect. The price is right and it should be the best possible match to the rest of the Ascend line.

I need HTM200SE for my rear surrounds but have to mount them from Ceiling, do HTM-200SEs have threads already or have to drill holes?

Quote Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post
    I need HTM200SE for my rear surrounds but have to mount them from Ceiling, do HTM-200SEs have threads already or have to drill holes?
    Threaded inserts on back:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...200featrs.html

Although they have threaded inserts on the back as N Boros pointed out, don't be afraid of drilling/screwing directly into the cabinet to attach some sort of mounting bracket if needed. I would not feel secure using only the inserts provided as they are located only towards one end of the cabinet which would be fine if the speakers were to remain in a vertical orientation, but I would beef up the mounting for a ceiling application.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by jtorrence3 View Post
    Thanks again. Going to go with these in front/rear heights, I think:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009G...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Are you using the mount you linked for HTM-200SEs? Do you have to drill additional holes on the speakers with the mount you listed?

Are you using the mount you linked for HTM-200SEs? Do you have to drill additional holes on the speakers with the mount you listed?
    Search for posts by Mr. Lawrence - I believe he used these but needed to drill holes to allow to connect the wires.

I mounted mine as front/rear heights -- I used picture hanging wire and OOK hooks, along with the threaded inserts. Although I can't aim or tilt the speakers, seems to be working great. I'll need to watch a few more DTS or ATMOS movies to validate. If not, I may add some tilting/swiveling mounts as F/R heights. I've already bought two pairs of these from Amazon. They look to open wide enough so I can either mount the HTM vertically or horizontally.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HBY4GXO...=2QRGK03YIR1PZ

Yesplease - thanks for the link. that's the thread I was thinking of in my earlier post!

Pic of my current 3.1.2 setup.

Too bad Ascend didn't have an upfiring speaker, otherwise I would've been all over that. The AFX provides a bit, but played back to back with the Sierra-2, there's no contest or timbre match. I'm thinking about selling and switching to a KEF R50 Atmos instead.