Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250 WPC amp with Sierra 2?

Default 250 WPC amp with Sierra 2?

I'm looking at using an Emotiva XPA power amp with my Sierra 2 speakers.

Since the speakers are rated at 150 WPC what is the risk in using an amp that will be 250-300 WPC? I've never had an amp with that much power and was concerned that it might be an issue.

Thanks!

Default Re: 250 WPC amp with Sierra 2?

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaOptic View Post
    I'm looking at using an Emotiva XPA power amp with my Sierra 2 speakers.

Since the speakers are rated at 150 WPC what is the risk in using an amp that will be 250-300 WPC? I've never had an amp with that much power and was concerned that it might be an issue.

Thanks!
    I'm running the exact same Emotiva amp with my Sierra-2 and have had zero problems. Nothing wrong with having a little extra power. If you have a subwoofer, just set your crossover to 80hz or so, and you should have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    I'm running the exact same Emotiva amp with my Sierra-2 and have had zero problems. Nothing wrong with having a little extra power. If you have a subwoofer, just set your crossover to 80hz or so, and you should have no problems.
    Good to know! What AVR or preamp are you using? Curious since I am looking at the Emotiva preamp too.

If you are considering the Emotiva XPA-2, then that amp is 300 wpc. There is something to be aware of, and that is, you could damage the Sierras if you accidentally turn it up too loud. But if you're like me, I prefer medium volume levels and I've measured with a meter. Music with peaks of about 83-83 decibels is getting uncomfortable for me. Since I sit 10 feet away from the speakers, that's maybe a couple of watts. For me it's about quality over quantity.

Just be aware of the limits and you'll be fine.

Yes, that is possible if you turn it up really, really loud. Same thing could happen with an underpowered amp. Even worse actually as an underpowered amp will go into clipping when turned up too loud which is even more likely to damage your speakers. I have the XPA-5 gen 3 along with an XMC-1. Works great. I love Dirac.

This would be for music and home theater. My current amp is 150 WPC and connected to a Yamaha receiver. I have had my Yamaha receiver at "+3" many times when listening to music. If I remember the max is "+9" so I'm approaching the max output. On my speakers with dome tweeters I can hear when the speaker is beginning to be pushed too hard and turn the volume down some. I've not tested this limit with the Sierra 2 simply because it would kill me to blow the tweeter! That being said I'm just being cautious before buying an amp that has so much power. I've also looked at Odyssey Audio and some others since I want to use balanced connections.

That seems pretty loud. Have you used an SPL meter to see what kind of volume levels you're getting at +3? I rarely go above -10 on my system.

I don't have a SPL meter unfortunately. Any recommendations? I admit, it is very loud. I've pushed NHT, OHM, and some old Mach 2 speakers to those levels, but not the Sierras. I've moved since then but the drop ceiling would shake to the point of dust falling down. Clearly not critical listening just enjoying some old rock and metal music. :-)

Unfortunately I can't play it that loud because of neighbors. Besides that, I'm not sure the Sierra-2 could handle it. I think they can get more than loud enough for the average person but their real strength is in their clarity and detail.

Edit: I use a Protek SL-100 SPL meter (now discontinued) I bought of Ebay. I believe Dave uses the same one. Very happy with it.
    Last edited by mikesiskav; 10-07-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Be very careful if you go with that amp. I use an XPA 2 and it was to much for the Sierra 's.
    After consulting with Dave ( which is the best thing to do first) I switched to Towers and it's
    A wonderful match.
    MacMini > Audirvana > Musical Fidelity V Dac II >
    Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 > Sierra Tower NRT > Rythmik F12SE > My Ears >