Thread: Need guidance on receiver or dac/amp for 5.1 setup

Default Need guidance on receiver or dac/amp for 5.1 setup

I could use some guidance on a new AV receiver or alternative DAC/AMP for my home theatre system speakers. My Yamaha RX-A3000 (2011 series) just died and it is time to rebuild. I would like to keep pricing $1500 - $2000.

Current Speaker list is:
    Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (original 2011)
    Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE x2
    Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE CENTER CHANNEL
    Rythmik D15SE 15” Servo Subwoofer

Thank you for your assistance.

Default Re: Need guidance on receiver or dac/amp for 5.1 setup

If you liked your Yamaha, street price on the RX-A3060 (mid 2016 model) is ~$2000 right now, and will come down as the RX-A3070 is shipping in a month or two.

I am using an RX-A3060 + Outlaw Model 5000 on a Sierra-2 L & R, RAAL Horizon center 7.1.4 system and am very satisfied.

Note I have run the front 3 powered by the Outlaw vs powered by the Yamaha and could hear zero difference. Did not measure with instrumentation , but pushed hard for extended sessions each way, nothing but crisp, clean, tight music with all the normal Ascend characteristics and no sign of effort in either configuration... so the Yamaha can capably handle 5.1 duties without help (albeit I do not have hands-on experience with the Towers). Latest I/O tech is very nice to have, also.

My 2013 vintage RX-A3010 is still going strong, too.

Default Re: Need guidance on receiver or dac/amp for 5.1 setup

Thank you for the feedback I just may purchase another Yamaha Avantage series and look into Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 with another pair of HTM-200 SE. I am going to take 30 days or so and do some research.