Thread: CMB 170 SE to the Sierra 1 question

Default CMB 170 SE to the Sierra 1 question

What could one expect in sound going from the CMB170SE to the Sierra 1? More or less bass? Better mids or highs. Just curious as I searched around and couldn't find the info. Just curious in my search for a really good lower priced book shelf.

Default Re: CMB 170 SE to the Sierra 1 question

The Sierra-1 is much more speaker than he CBM-170SE.

The Sierra-1 has deeper bass, more resolving mids and highs, and not quite as forward as the 170.

That said, for what the 170 is, for its cost, there isn't much that can compete with it.

As curtis said, the Sierra-1 is sonically better in pretty much every way.

It is also a much, much more attractive speaker. I think the Sierras are just gorgeous and the 170s are... well, at the risk of being branded a heretic, they're just not particularly attractive speakers.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thanks
    Looks like the Sierra 1 natural Bamboo is in my future. I own the CMB and they are one heck of a speaker. Looks like the Sierra will fit nicely in the middle of my RAAL towers and the CMB.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The Sierra-1 is much more speaker than he CBM-170SE.

The Sierra-1 has deeper bass, more resolving mids and highs, and not quite as forward as the 170.

That said, for what the 170 is, for its cost, there isn't much that can compete with it.
    I also think one of the biggest differences between the 2 speakers is imaging
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I also think one of the biggest differences between the 2 speakers is imaging
    Yes! The. CBM1-170SE already out classes anything in its price range is that category. Imaging in the Sierras is outstanding.