Could not bring myself to address the 170's w/out the L-12, and then there's the room treatments added to the mix, so I wound up here.

System is 2.1, music only.

My electronics are:
Amplifier - Soundcraftsman A2502
DAC/Preamp - TubeDac 09 (lightly modified)
Source - Late 90's Yamaha DVD player

Speakers were:
Wharfedalde Diamond 10.2's
Paradigm PDR-12 (sub, placed by the "sub crawl" method)

First to go were the Wharfedales, very good actually, but lacking a little something says I, so a couple of months ago, a pair of CBM-170SE's made the scene.

Ahhh! now we're getting somewhere. The 170's have been written about for years, and seem worthy of the hype. Showing me some of that "something" I was looking for, but I'm having trouble getting them well integrated with the Paradigm.

One thing I noticed; when the sub output is low, or it's off, is the "excessive high frequency energy" I had noted in more than a few reviews. Not piercing, or a harshness but I find myself wishing I could reduce the SPL of the tweeter relative to the mid/bass driver.

So, for the 1rst time, I enter into the realm of room treatments to improve ambient acoustics. Started with the 1rst reflection points and oh my goodness why haven't I done this long ago. Overall clarity and depth is noticeably improved. Tried with and without the treatments for a while to make sure I wasn't fooling myself and even the modest measures I've taken so far are the real deal.

Still not happy with the Paradigm, so an L 12 is ordered. Heavy cube showed up one fine day about 10 of them ago. I did the sub crawl w/it, result was to the same location as for the Paradigm. Put the L-12 there, crossover to 80, delay @ zero, level on 50% and
cowabunga, now we're talking! Piddled with the settings some, but running the same as I put in initially with the level up to about 60%.

My experience with subs is limited, but I am a believer that they make all frequency ranges better. That seeming "excessive high frequency energy" effect is gone, and man the lows are tight and right. The CBM-170SE's went from very good to wonderful.

I'm not going to add "audiophile speak" accolades to what has already been written about the CB-170SE's and Rythmik L-12, but I will say that together they can make some magic. My music now comes from everywhere and nowhere with a thoroughly delightful texture; I can hear the wood of a cello and not just the strings.

Yes, I am very happy with my stereo.