Thread: CBM-170SE's + Rythmik L12 = Oooh-la-la

Default CBM-170SE's + Rythmik L12 = Oooh-la-la

Could not bring myself to address the 170's w/out the L-12, and then there's the room treatments added to the mix, so I wound up here.

System is 2.1, music only.

My electronics are:
    Amplifier - Soundcraftsman A2502
    DAC/Preamp - TubeDac 09 (lightly modified)
    Source - Late 90's Yamaha DVD player

Speakers were:
    Wharfedalde Diamond 10.2's
    Paradigm PDR-12 (sub, placed by the "sub crawl" method)

First to go were the Wharfedales, very good actually, but lacking a little something says I, so a couple of months ago, a pair of CBM-170SE's made the scene.

Ahhh! now we're getting somewhere. The 170's have been written about for years, and seem worthy of the hype. Showing me some of that "something" I was looking for, but I'm having trouble getting them well integrated with the Paradigm.

One thing I noticed; when the sub output is low, or it's off, is the "excessive high frequency energy" I had noted in more than a few reviews. Not piercing, or a harshness but I find myself wishing I could reduce the SPL of the tweeter relative to the mid/bass driver.

So, for the 1rst time, I enter into the realm of room treatments to improve ambient acoustics. Started with the 1rst reflection points and oh my goodness why haven't I done this long ago. Overall clarity and depth is noticeably improved. Tried with and without the treatments for a while to make sure I wasn't fooling myself and even the modest measures I've taken so far are the real deal.

Still not happy with the Paradigm, so an L 12 is ordered. Heavy cube showed up one fine day about 10 of them ago. I did the sub crawl w/it, result was to the same location as for the Paradigm. Put the L-12 there, crossover to 80, delay @ zero, level on 50% and
    cowabunga, now we're talking! Piddled with the settings some, but running the same as I put in initially with the level up to about 60%.

My experience with subs is limited, but I am a believer that they make all frequency ranges better. That seeming "excessive high frequency energy" effect is gone, and man the lows are tight and right. The CBM-170SE's went from very good to wonderful.

I'm not going to add "audiophile speak" accolades to what has already been written about the CB-170SE's and Rythmik L-12, but I will say that together they can make some magic. My music now comes from everywhere and nowhere with a thoroughly delightful texture; I can hear the wood of a cello and not just the strings.

Yes, I am very happy with my stereo.

Default Re: CBM-170SE's + Rythmik L12 = Oooh-la-la

Perhaps this post should have been in "Reviews" instead.
    Request Moderator to move it there if that seems appropriate.

Congratulations for the setup. Of course I am biased, because I have a pair of CMT-340SE as my mains and the L12 as well

My room is not specifically treated, however it has wall to wall carpet, a rug on top of it between speakers and listening position, an overstuffed couch and accordion-type fabric blinders on the three windows in the room. The highs coming out of the CMT-340 are just perfect to my ears and the mids, especially voices, are excellent.

I use this setup also for movies and could not be happier, especially for what I spent (or maybe for what I did NOT spend! ). Despite not having matching center and surrounds, I am not left wanting in term of dynamic, impact and overall tonal balance.
    Emotiva Fusion 8100 AVR
    Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Main
    Rythmik L12 Sub
    55" LG OLED55CXAUA TV
    Panasonic DP-UB420-K 4K UHD Player
    Seiki SR4KP1 Region-free BD Player
    Roku Premiere+ 4k

I also am very pleased with the mid range performance of the 340's. Something I was looking for in particular in my next set of speakers when doing my research.
    Best speakers for vocals I've ever had. I'm much better able to tell what the drummer is doing with the snare and trap as well.

You seem to have an inherently good situation, acoustically.
    I'm off to one side of the Master Bedroom. One speaker is next to a wall the other in the middle of the room. Possible sub locations are very limited. Less than ideal, but the 340's/L12 combo with some treatments have yielded a very good result.

One of the things I noticed (that was instrumental in selling me on them) in the 340 reviews was that even though they had been used in a myriad of applications I don't recall seeing one of those "best paired with a ........ amplifier", or "best used for ...... music" caveats.

Great all a rounders, it would seem.

I'm running my 340's full range with the L12 crossover set to two clicks below 80Hz. If we call that 76Hz, is that close to where you're crossing your L12 with your 340's?

Mazeppa, yes, I am using the bass management of my Emotiva Fusion 8100 and set both the sub and the 340s at 80Hz.

The 340s are in a shelf (not just "on" a shelf), so to avoid undesirable interaction of the rear port with the enclosed space of the shelf I am not using them full range. Crossing them at 80Hz is well above the tuning frequency of the port and therefore it makes them behave virtually as a sealed speaker.

Plus, it gives significant relief to my AVR, as reproducing bass is notoriously taxing for amps. The Fusion 8100 has very robust output stages and solid power for being an AVR, but still it is not as capable as a system with separate (110Wx2, 80Wx5 or 65Wx7, all channels driven).

The high sensitivity of the CMT-340SE and the added power and dynamic provided by the L12 makes for a very well rounded combo. It sounds way better and powerful than the little money I spent would make you think.

I have almost all of the bits and parts to put together an analog, 24db L/R crossover and I'm still considering giving it a go @ 80Hz.

My amp is 2x125W into 8ohms so I am listening for any undesirable overlap between between the L12 and the 340's. So far, it seems good at the 2 clicks below 80 on the L12 and I remain undecided on adding the crossover. I'll probably wind up trying it eventually just to see (hear) if it helps.

Agreed that the 340/L12 combo is very effective at a reasonable cost. No buyer's regret at all for me.
    Good dynamics, well balanced & nuanced sound from low to high such as they produce are to be envied at any price point.

I had an Emotiva 2 channel amp (excellent build quality and performance) for a while that I was very happy it with until I tried the MOSFET sound and fell for it big time.

My system is also very tolerant of recordings that are less than optimal, as much music from the late 60's, early 70's (my main jams) are.
    However, I tried some MP3 material for the 1rst time yesterday through the 340/L12 combo and, well, let's just say that the MP3 format remains relegated to a low volume, background role for me and will not do if I want to listen to the music.

Interesting that your 340's do well IN a shelf. Less than ideal placement, but they shine for you anyway.
    Speakers that sound this good and are so versatile in placement and usage have got to be a rarity.
    The reviews & testimonials of MOST speakers contain a caveat (or caveats) about something, but it seems almost all 340 users say hook 'em up where you can put them with the electronics you've got, play what you like and you will be pleased with the sound.

Count me in that number.