Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amplification for Sierra-2 for 2.0/2.1 music: receiver or integrated, ~$500

Default Re: Amplification for Sierra-2 for 2.0/2.1 music: receiver or integrated, ~$500

Thanks, Brian and Blutarsky; I saw another thread where Blutarsky expressed a lot of happiness with the Outlaw power amp.
    Only now do I notice the nice triple-threat package deal they have with a 975/5000/oppo-203, where pending shipping, one might save a little...potentially sweetening the deal on an Oppo considerably. Too bad I am still rocking my 103!

I need to do some more research on the 975 and how it compares with its equivalents chez Emotiva etc. I might get a stop-gap solution for less money and then get the package deal when I feel like a slight upgrade in my player.

I do not trust myself to know clipping when I hear it---some examples I've listened to online seem extreme for the sake of emphasis---so I'm afraid I am ripe for exploitation when it comes to fretting over accidentally destroying my speakers. Or geez, my ears!
    I'm going to get a SPL meter and stop this Iphone-app nonsense.

Default Re: Amplification for Sierra-2 for 2.0/2.1 music: receiver or integrated, ~$500

that's not a bad deal on the Outlaw 975/5000/Oppo combo. I believe the 975 doesn't have any room correction built in -- it's probably more comparable to the Emotiva MC700 then any of the XMC line.

The Outlaw subs are good, as well. They used to be Hsu rebrands... not sure if this is the case. I used their LFM Plus for a few years before buying my Rythmic E15 from Ascend.

I"m a little late to the party, but since I've owned some of the brands being mentioned I'll throw my 2 cents into the ring.

I found Emotiva to be on the harsh/bright side as well. With my speakers, an XDA-1 and an XPA amp I was getting sibilance with every "ssss" sound with some tracks, at volume peaks of about 80 decibels and up. This was with Paradigm Signature S6 speakers. I've also owned the Sierra 2 and 3 different Nad integrated amps, and I preferred their sound over Emotiva.

I'd suggest the Nad C356BEE, they can be had at spearitsound.com as a refurb with full warranty for under 600 I believe. There are few options for new gear at that price point unless you get into avrs, and I wouldn't suggest those for a 2 channel set up.
    Last edited by sharkman; 06-10-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Why would you NOT suggest them (AVRs) for a 2 channel setup?
    Thanks,
    Pegleg