Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Default Re: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Got my Anthem! Now I need to start setting it up. Looks like I also need to make some decisions about rear speakers and/or atmos soon. Should get to work on it Sunday.
    How's your set up coming along? Ran ARC yesterday...everything I've tested so far sounds excellent - perhaps even a bit better than the 510, which was no slouch.

I did a quick arc and it sounds better than the marantz for HT already. I need to redo it a little more carefully. For Music I need to see what I like best. I also need to figure how the speaker profiles I want.

Getting my Harmony remote updated was a pain as the anthem template isn't that complete but I eventually figured it out.

The manual is pretty bad and I have a few questions. I have my speakers setup in a 7.1 config but the rear speakers could either be around 4' off the floor on a shelf or on top of the bookcase and near the ceiling. I think I'd rather have them by the ceiling. But I'm not sure how to configure height speakers and the amp settings. So I just used basic 7.1 for now.

Also the subwoofer connections for my powered sub is confusing. The two RCA outs labeled subwoofers aren't marked for red/white or L/R so I don't know whether they're even the right connections. Although they work OK so who knows. Or should I be using the Pre sub outs?

At least there is a paper manual :-)...

As to speaker profiles, per manual pg 40 doesn't seem necessary. I didn't with my 510. I didn't with the 720 either - at first. But for fun (??), I did also try 4 different configs / ARC runs -- one 5.1, one 4.1 (no center), one 2.1, and another 5.1 with different mic positions. I still have listened enough to see if it makes a difference versus one profile with different processing options set per input.

I suggest 7.1 as you have it. If you add a pair of front heights, then I'd redo as 5.1.4. From what I read on Atmos, 2 height/top speakers doesn't really do it justice. Effect is better with 4. Of course, you could play around with 7.1 (your rears set as rears) or 5.1.2 (your rears as rear heights) and see what you like best.

There is no red/white or L/R with subs. If you have one sub, use only one of the sub rca outs from the mrx720 (the rca jacks next to the chassis ground) into one RCA on the sub...it usually doesn't matter (what sub do you have?). Not sure what you mean by pre-sub out. I'm 99% sure that the two outputs on the mrx720 have the same signal (it's just an internal Y-splitter) for folks that have two subs..

OK..lunch over for me.. back to work

Ah, thx!

I have an F12 sub. I'll change it to just use one wire.

I was referring to the Main Pre-out section which also has a sub output.

Nice sub. I figured that's what you were referring to -- it's the only sub outs that I can see in the manual.

I've got a couple of guides for the PEQ3 amp and set up, using room correction, etc. I'm not sure how to attach here, so I'll see if I can send them by PM. I think this is the same amp as yours.

I went through arcam more carefully today and it sounds even better. We'll see what the wife thinks as she has better ears. Basically so far it's setup for 7.1 full HT.

I need to figure out how to switch between the audio configurations for other settings. I figure I'd create 4 profiles like these:

Full HT
    Late night, less bass and more dialog focused
    Audio only 2.1 with minimal processing
    Audio surround

I also need to learn more about the various decoder features.

Yup - a lot to learn. I think you meant ARC, not arcam (another brand :-) ).

The easiest way to accomplish this is by setting the listening mode for 2 channel or multi channel signals in each input configuration. Even if your speaker config is 7.1, if it's a 2 channel source, it will only play in 2 channels (unless, of course, you add processing). For less bass, perhaps a speaker config with either the subwoofer off (7.0) or use a 7.1, but reduce the subwoofer by "X" db and increase the center by "y" db in the level calibration menu for that speaker config.

Ah, yes thanks. That makes sense.

My anthem impressions so far:

I ran ARC a little more carefully and pretty much have been totally satisfied. Dialog is much more understandable. We can run at much lower volumes and understand what's going on. There's no need to cycle through the surround modes trying to find something that sounds better like I'd constantly do with the Marantz.

The sound is great with CD's or Vinyl. I do need to dig through the settings to play around with it a bit more to have profiles for music perhaps. But I just haven't bothered. It sounds fine as is.

Probably the one thing I need to think about is what to do with the rear speakers, which don't seem to be that effective in their current location and setup. They're high up on the back wall. I could perhaps out them high up on the front wall. Or maybe tweak the ARC settings.

Otherwise, I am really satisfied with the Anthem. Super glad I bought it.

Thanks for your help! The 500$ off was a clincher for me.

No worries! Glad your enjoying the Anthem!

Did you configure the rears as rear height or just rears? If the first, you may try reconfiguring as rears (so traditional 7.1).