Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Default Re: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I could be wrong, but many players and certainly consoles allow the use of the Plex app to connect to a NAS. A lot of TV's have it now, too. Many of those expensive media servers and other ways of accessing a NAS are not necessary when something like Plex is around. Just my preference I guess.

I do own a bunch of 24/96 high resolution downloads, especially of anything Steven Wilson has put his hands on. I have a bunch of other stuff that I love as well. The thing is that I'm 90% a death metal fan, and there's very little of it in high res, and it's basically pointless to do it high res because of the way they record. You're not going to squeek out much more detail depending on the band and how they mix and master. It's just a reality of the music. There is positively zero DSD/SACD music out there that I want. None. It's all genres that I have zero interest in. George Benson's Breezin' is probably the only disc I'd even consider owning (I grew up with that album, it's my Dad's favorite).

Between my computer, turntable, PS4, Xbox one, and Nvidia Shield, I can play every single format there is except SACD/DSD.
    That's just it...why use something like Plex/JRiver, if you didn't have to? One high quality device to play all media...the Oppo! BTW...JRiver software is pretty cheap. I have a JRiver iD...a Linux box specific for JRiver, it was around $250 total, and the user interface on the iPhone/iPad is very nice, almost Roon like.

Everything piece of music media you use the computer, XBox, PS4, NVidia Shield for...can be handled by the Oppo and more. No vinyl for me.

My AV sources are a TiVo Bolt, Apple TV4, Oppo BDP-83, and the JRiver iD. If I got a 203, the JRiver would be gone. If the TiVo Bolt could handle DirecTV Now or SlingTV, the Apple TV4 would probably be gone(although I use it to Airplay Tidal from my phone). Hulu is now offering live TV streaming, and Hulu is supported by the TiVo Bolt, so I'm hoping the live TV will be supported some day on it.

For me, it is about simplifying my sources, while not losing my playback capabilities and sound quality.

OK...understood about death metal and the lack of it on SACD.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-07-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    -curtis

My 103D then 203 did replaced something similar. I had a dedicated HTPC hooked up to my TV, mainly because at the time it was the only device that could bit stream lossless audio formats. Having the Oppo has been a game changer in terms of usability and aesthetics. I thought about the Nvidia shield but I still needed a physical media player and I already own a FireTV and AppleTV. Now everything is accessed via an 20 gb hard drive hooked up to my router via USB.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That's just it...why use something like Plex/JRiver, if you didn't have to? One high quality device to play all media...the Oppo! BTW...JRiver software is pretty cheap. I have a JRiver iD...a Linux box specific for JRiver, it was around $250 total, and the user interface on the iPhone/iPad is very nice, almost Roon like.
    That's an interesting question for sure. I have asked myself that and it came down to the fact that I have my computer on 90% of the time anyway so I may as well make it my media server at the same time for whatever devices I want to access it on. When I'm on my other system I usually just plug my iPhone in and go direct to the receiver's iPhone input with my Bandcamp app or podcasts.

One of these days when I have a lot of spare time and cash (when will that day come already?!) I'd like to mess around with a Raspberry Pi from HiFiBerry and set it up as a music server or just a music player with a 7" or so touchscreen. It would look really cool in my theater and I could even get some different home automation stuff running on it if I really wanted to.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

One of these days when I have a lot of spare time and cash (when will that day come already?!) I'd like to mess around with a Raspberry Pi from HiFiBerry and set it up as a music server or just a music player with a 7" or so touchscreen. It would look really cool in my theater and I could even get some different home automation stuff running on it if I really wanted to.
    Raspberry Pi and KODI...inexpensive and works well.

As for automation, I just set my AV system up with Alexa and a Logitech hub. "Alexa, turn on JRiver" and my AV system comes on ready for me to play a song. "Alexa, turn on TV" and the whole system comes on ready to watch TV. If already on a different source it will switch the proper proper one. It will shut off the sources that are not being used. To top it off, it syncs with the Logitech remote so the remote controls the proper source/functions. Pretty geeky, but awesome.

As for automation, I just set my AV system up with Alexa and a Logitech hub. "Alexa, turn on JRiver" and my AV system comes on ready for me to play a song. "Alexa, turn on TV" and the whole system comes on ready to watch TV. If already on a different source it will switch the proper proper one. It will shut off the sources that are not being used. To top it off, it syncs with the Logitech remote so the remote controls the proper source/functions. Pretty geeky, but awesome.
    Damn, that's intense! Well done! I'm still living in the 1990's with a bunch of enormous remotes. I hate the XMC-1 remote so much. A giant, heavy brick WITH NO BACKLIGHT. Ugh. UGH!
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Damn, that's intense! Well done! I'm still living in the 1990's with a bunch of enormous remotes. I hate the XMC-1 remote so much. A giant, heavy brick WITH NO BACKLIGHT. Ugh. UGH!
    That XMC-1 remote can be a weapon. Luckily, once the XMC-1 is setup, you really don't need its remote.
    -curtis

That XMC-1 remote can be a weapon. Luckily, once the XMC-1 is setup, you really don't need its remote.
    Unless you're cheap like me and still using the remote for input and volume control because I don't want to shell out money for a new remote because of my new Warmachine tabletop game addiction and there's so many cool new movies to buy ><
    -Alex

That does sound cool. I'll need to look into this setup...

Got my Anthem! Now I need to start setting it up. Looks like I also need to make some decisions about rear speakers and/or atmos soon. Should get to work on it Sunday.

Mine came today, as well. Swapped it in for the MRX510. All set up - just need to run ARC...

Next on the list -- HTM200's, most likely, for ATMOS