Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Default Re: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Not so sure I'd say his reasoning isn't sound - just an opinion. Plus, everyone has different drivers for their purchase decisions. Like you, I'll get the Oppo due to PQ/upscaling abilities, SACD/DV capability, build quality, support, and good experience with the brand.

The Oppo is likely after the height/top speakers. I also want to do some research into Darbee's plans for 4k, and whether Oppo might release a 203D in the near future.

I currently have the old BDP-83, and a disc player is next on my upgrade list.

Currently I use JRiver to play my media files. It would be nice to get the 203 and not have to use JRiver...one less box. The user interface just isn't as nice, but nothing as flexible when it comes to media/files.
    Last edited by curtis; 06-07-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    -curtis

I don't see SACD as a feature I need. It's a dead format and I don't own any and don't want to. If you guys need that, I guess it's worth talking about and buying the player for it.

As far as picture quality, all 4K players are the same, unless they will support different HDR formats like Dolby Vision in the future, so I guess that can be a concern for those that want to get the latest and greatest formats and update their TV/projector every year. Still no word if there is going to be a future for Darbee in the 4K world. It's all moving so fast I doubt they can keep up.

Oppo stated at some point that they won't be doing streaming in their players because it's easy to buy a streaming player stick and just plug it into the Oppo, or, since most TV's have all the apps included now, just go that route.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I don't see SACD as a feature I need. It's a dead format and I don't own any and don't want to. If you guys need that, I guess it's worth talking about and buying the player for it.

Oppo stated at some point that they won't be doing streaming in their players because it's easy to buy a streaming player stick and just plug it into the Oppo, or, since most TV's have all the apps included now, just go that route.
    I'm not referring to streaming services, I'm referring to music media I have on my home network. I have thousands of music files on a NAS drive...I'll never give up that convenience. Having access to Tidal through it would be nice though.

SACD as a media may be going by the way side(people have been saying that for years), but I do have discs that I enjoy. Also, dsf/dsd music media that isn't going away anytime soon.

Sure, if you don't need those features, then it's no big deal

Alex, for someone that loves the sound of quality components, I am very surprised you are are not into hi-res music.

For me, it's all about having access to quality sound to play on my Ascends!
    Last edited by curtis; 06-07-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    SACD as a media may be going by the way side(people have been saying that for years), but I do have discs that I enjoy. Also, dsf/dsd music media that isn't going away anytime soon.
    Same was said about vinyl and rock & roll :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    As far as picture quality, all 4K players are the same, unless they will support different HDR formats like Dolby Vision in the future, so I guess that can be a concern for those that want to get the latest and greatest formats and update their TV/projector every year. Still no word if there is going to be a future for Darbee in the 4K world. It's all moving so fast I doubt they can keep up.
    I'd agree with that assuming it's done right. I've seen complaints (eg Samsung) about being too red or something along those lines. I think some upscale better than the others, and I still have a lot of regular DVD's...not rebuying most just because of resolution change.

Don't have to upgrade TV/projector every year - I certainly don't. I had my previous plasma for like 6 years. Dolby Vision is a feature I want, so made sure my display supported it. Appears a lot of people seem to think DV is better than HDR, at least on some of the threads on AVS.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Same was said about vinyl and rock & roll :-)
    Don't get me started on vinyl!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Don't have to upgrade TV/projector every year - I certainly don't. I had my previous plasma for like 6 years. Dolby Vision is a feature I want, so made sure my display supported it. Appears a lot of people seem to think DV is better than HDR, at least on some of the threads on AVS.
    Dolby Vision upgrade firmware for 203/205 just became available.

Thanks, Curtis. I saw that - apparently it was in the Beta release that came out last week (I think) - according to the 203 owner's thread on AVS...

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I'm not referring to streaming services, I'm referring to music media I have on my home network. I have thousands of music files on a NAS drive...I'll never give up that convenience. Having access to Tidal through it would be nice though.

Alex, for someone that loves the sound of quality components, I am very surprised you are are not into hi-res music.
    I could be wrong, but many players and certainly consoles allow the use of the Plex app to connect to a NAS. A lot of TV's have it now, too. Many of those expensive media servers and other ways of accessing a NAS are not necessary when something like Plex is around. Just my preference I guess.

I do own a bunch of 24/96 high resolution downloads, especially of anything Steven Wilson has put his hands on. I have a bunch of other stuff that I love as well. The thing is that I'm 90% a death metal fan, and there's very little of it in high res, and it's basically pointless to do it high res because of the way they record. You're not going to squeek out much more detail depending on the band and how they mix and master. It's just a reality of the music. There is positively zero DSD/SACD music out there that I want. None. It's all genres that I have zero interest in. George Benson's Breezin' is probably the only disc I'd even consider owning (I grew up with that album, it's my Dad's favorite).

Between my computer, turntable, PS4, Xbox one, and Nvidia Shield, I can play every single format there is except SACD/DSD.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers