Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Default Re: Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

You could try Crutchfield if you do not mind buying online and if they participate in the promotion. They have a good reputation as sellers:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_973MRX...20.html?tp=179

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_973MRX...20.html?tp=179

Have to throw my vote in for the Emotiva XMC-1 as well. I used to have a Marantz AV7701 and the XMC-1 is a big upgrade in every single way. More detail, blacker background, insane timing accuracy, and loads of customization options. Emotiva's support and backing of their product is incredible as well. I love that it's made in Tennessee as well.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Sludge/Alex...where have you been?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Sludge/Alex...where have you been?
    I'm a chemical engineer at a small facility that makes resins for paper and plywood products and there used to be another guy that managed our quality control. He quit and they've been dragging their feet on a replacement so I've been working lots of hours and barely even get time to eat at work let alone cruise the forums. My time at home has been focused on my lawn that keeps giving me headaches (we had an 80 degree day that roasted a quarter of the lawn because I messed up the sprinkler system at the same time) and on playing StarCraft 2 whenever I can because I'm addicted to it again for some unexplainable reason.

I'm working my way through some threads again and we have some interviews finally scheduled but it'll be at least 6 months until I'm back into a normal schedule again.

Thanks for asking, feels good to be missed =)
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Move to a city. No lawns or driveways to shovel!.. That said, my back still hurts from carrying an F12 up 5 flights of stairs by myself last year.

I like what I've read about the XMC1- but it starts to get really expensive with an amp and then the add on boards. The Anthem seems simpler. Also the 2 pending upgrades for the emotiva bother me as the atmos has to be done by them.

It's all kind of ironic wanting a fancy av receiver, because some of the sound customization I want is the ability to go LO-FI such as being able to watch the news or the mets games and have it sound like a small little speaker!

:-)
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 06-01-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Move to a city. No lawns or driveways to shovel!.. That said, my back still hurts from carrying an F12 up 5 flights of stairs by myself last year.

I like what I've read about the XMC1- but it starts to get really expensive with an amp and then the add on boards. The Anthem seems simpler.

It's all kind of ironic because some of the sound customization I want is the ability to go LO-FI such as being able to watch the news or the mets games and have it sound like a small little speaker.
    I hate traffic and being around lots of people. I like being in a small town for the most part. I'm a hermit =p

In regards to the upgrade boards, just remember you don't need the HDCP 2.2 board unless you want to go to 4K/HDR. The standard board does Blu-Ray just fine, and that's all I own, and I don't plan to get into 4K/HDR until that technology becomes the norm, and that's not going to happen for several years if at all. The Atmos board is only if you want to go with Atmos. I personally don't since I'm in a small room and I like to focus on making my 5 channels the best they can be.

In regards to an amp to pair with it, you don't have to buy an XPA Gen 3. I wish they still had the Gen 2 stuff because it was so much more affordable. If you go with an Outlaw or a used Gen 2 it makes it a lot easier to stomach. I paid $800 for my XPA-5 Gen 2 and $1700 for my XMC-1 with the 1.4b board and no Atmos board, so overall an insane deal.

I agree that some of the amp options for the XMC-1 are a bit expensive. If you don't need the insane customization of Dirac I'd just go with the BasX amps and the MC-700 processor, which are just incredible values, and you get 4K as well. Balanced is really overkill for a home theater system and sometimes I wonder how an MC-700 and BasX amp would sound in my room compared to my beast of a system I have now.
    -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I agree that some of the amp options for the XMC-1 are a bit expensive. If you don't need the insane customization of Dirac I'd just go with the BasX amps and the MC-700 processor, which are just incredible values, and you get 4K as well. Balanced is really overkill for a home theater system and sometimes I wonder how an MC-700 and BasX amp would sound in my room compared to my beast of a system I have now.
    Unfortunately Emotiva no longer runs sales or offer trade ins. So it just ends up being too expensive. Anthem's offering 500 off to upgrade to a 720. That probably makes the most sense.

I might try atmos some day. We own our apt and the way it's laid out in ceiling speakers could be easy and work out pretty well. I just need to hear and example of how it sounds somewhere which is on my list of eventual things to do.

First I just want to be able to have more EQ control over the center and surround speakers and to be able to tweak the room correction.

Thanks and cheers.

Unfortunately Emotiva no longer runs sales or offer trade ins. So it just ends up being too expensive. Anthem's offering 500 off to upgrade to a 720. That probably makes the most sense.

I might try atmos some day. We own our apt and the way it's laid out in ceiling speakers could be easy and work out pretty well. I just need to hear and example of how it sounds somewhere which is on my list of eventual things to do.

First I just want to be able to have more EQ control over the center and surround speakers and to be able to tweak the room correction.

Thanks and cheers.
    Gotcha. Dirac and ARC are pretty much the only system which allows the tweaking that you have been mentioning, unfortunately. Only Dirac Live Full and ARC allow you to create your own target curves. Everything else only allows you to change setup parameters that won't customize the sound.

As for the sales, Emotiva had to choose between raising prices to make the sales profitable, or keeping prices low all the time. I'm glad they went with the latter.
    Last edited by sludgeogre; 06-01-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    -Alex

I think with Arcam you can run the optimization but then change the EQ curves. No?

I think with Arcam you can run the optimization but then change the EQ curves. No?
    I believe so. Sorry, totally forgot about Arcam. I never really consider them since it's so expensive to import gear.
    -Alex