Thread: New 5.0 setup, lead time, and Sierra 1 tweeter upgrade

Default New 5.0 setup, lead time, and Sierra 1 tweeter upgrade

So i posted about 6 months ago asking for some advise on systems. Since then, I've done a pile more research, and have started making moves to finish my system.

A brief refresher on my setup:

img_0014.jpg

20x40x9 (19x39 internal dimensions). 135" screen, you're looking at about 1/2 the room.

NAD T754 AVR with NAD C272 2ch handling amplification for the L/R speakers.

I just ordered a pair of FV15HPs. I will locate these about 1/2 way up the side walls.

The rest of the system will consist of a pair of Sierra NrT Towers, NrT Horizon, and a pair of Sierra 1s.

Questions:

1) Is it worth it to upgrade the surrounds to NrT tweeters or are the stock ones adequate? I don't listen to much 5ch music, so my primary concern would be HT use, although if it sounds as amazing as I think it will, I may start listening in surround more...

2) What's the lead time on this kind of system? (I guess this is probably a question for Dave). I saw that tower cabinets are out to July? This would be in cherry finish on all pieces, if it matters... Should I get my order in now to hold my place?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New 5.0 setup, lead time, and Sierra 1 tweeter upgrade

I would honestly put treatments on your walls first. That wall material must be echoey.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I agree with the wall treatments and a cloud or two wouldn't hurt either.

To your original question, with a pair of 15 inch subs, I'd be very tempted to pick up a set of Sierra 2's for the front, upgrade the Horizon to RAAL, and stick with the standard Sierra 1's for surround duty.

The extra detail from the RAALs is well worth the trade off (IMO) for the bass extension you would have gotten from the towers. Subs should more than make up for that.

That said, your original plan would make a great set up as well.

But yes, the wall treatments would be well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    I agree with the wall treatments and a cloud or two wouldn't hurt either.

To your original question, with a pair of 15 inch subs, I'd be very tempted to pick up a set of Sierra 2's for the front, upgrade the Horizon to RAAL, and stick with the standard Sierra 1's for surround duty.

The extra detail from the RAALs is well worth the trade off (IMO) for the bass extension you would have gotten from the towers. Subs should more than make up for that.

That said, your original plan would make a great set up as well.

But yes, the wall treatments would be well worth the effort.
    I agree with this, but you could even go with the HTM 200 SE for surround duty. They are really quite perfect for it. They blend very well with the Sierras and are very small and easy to place while still having massive sound (it makes no sense how big they sound) and quite a lot of detail. I still want to replace mine with Lunas one day, but they have really worked out for me extremely well with my Towers.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

I would suggest the possibility of tower speakers or the CMT 340s. If he has a 135 inch screen in that large of a room, then I'm guessing he could be sitting 15 feet away or more from the speakers. In that case the extra output might be needed. Furthermore, in that large of an open space, around 7000 cubic feet, the extra output from 100 hz up to 500 hz will likely be noticeable. Though he is using Rythmik FV 15 HPs, they will be crossed over at around 80 Hz, they don't help out much in that bass region. The surrounds will likely be closer, to where it doesn't matter what he goes with. Just my thoughts.

I was just in contact with Dina about the lead time on towers. Sounds like they had some difficulties sourcing enough bamboo so that's the cause of the delay so regardless of your finish option they probably wouldn't be ready until July, if you think you want towers I'd place your order ASAP to get your name on the list! I placed my order in February and it looks like they'll be shipping very soon now!

Sounds like a pretty killer setup, I'd agree with other voices that the LCR are much more important than the surrounds (I only do 3.1 because I don't feel it adds enough, and living in an apartment the setup is challenging), so spend more money on those than the surrounds. Personally I like the idea of having them match as much as possible, so were I you (I'm actually getting NrT towers and a Sierra 1 NrT center so similar boat), I'd get the Sierra 1 NrTs for surrounds if your budget can handle it. However that's likely a bit overkill.

If any are not in a big hurry, I think Dave is also planning a Sierra Luna (a satellite speaker that is small in form factor and easy to flush mount) with the Sierra 1 tweeter or NrT tweeter. Currently you can get it with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. It is a really nice form factor for surround use.

I also saw mention of this. I think if I add surround speakers someday with my Sierra tower NrT and Sierra 1 center NrT I will add luna NrT surrounds.