Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on speaker system purchase

Default Re: Advice on speaker system purchase

Quote Originally Posted by yummypuppy View Post
    Oh hrm then I think Lunas might be the way to go! I might still want to get S2 center simply because it gives me a really nice upgrade path when my living situation improves, and also I can't just buy one Luna! Yeah HTM-200s are very likely good enough but I think I would enjoy the little extra so to speak, and would never have to replace the Lunas out too.

I actually live an hour away from the San Clemente HQ (northern San Diego) so I guess it might be possible to visit? Can you actually place an order there and pick up there? It would save a bit on shipping costs. But I've read that there's a listening room there? Might be fun to see how good the towers actually are!

Thanks for all the help so far!
    Hey Yummypuppy - welcome to the forum!

We have Sierra-1 and Sierra-2 in the exact same finishes as the Lunas and Towers etc, - we just don't list them on the site yet. Our new site should be ready to go live sometime next month and every finish will be listed. Additionally, we do sell Lunas as single / center speakers as well.

I would recommend giving us a call so all options can be discussed.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by crazycuz2k View Post
    Have you considered getting the Sierra-1's? They're great speakers in themselves, run a couple hundred per pair more than the 340's, more musical, smaller footprint, and can upgrade to the RAAL tweeter and midrange if you ever want to upgrade. The 1's are also more efficient than the 2's and esp the Luna's. For small speakers they take more power to drive. I have a pair or Sierra-1 NRT's and they sound awesome, I would never sell or upgrade them and that's saying something since I have the Sierra-2 and the Luna's. For the price, the 1's can't be beat.

Also for a small room, and unless you you need the parametric eq, I would go with an LVX/R12 or FVX15. I have both an F12 and FV15HP. The sealed sub is no slouch and the bass quick and tight but can't match the output of the ported, and I have my HV15HP in 1 port mode just to get to those lower registers. Also don't want to risk damaging a sealed sub with some of the sustained bass some movie tracks have like edge of tomorrow.
    I did consider those, as a lot of people did mention that they were pretty close. But I think the Luna form factor was a big seller since my current space is more limited. I did end up looking at the LVR12 though and opted for it though thanks! It did seem to make more sense than the HV15HP.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hey Yummypuppy - welcome to the forum!

We have Sierra-1 and Sierra-2 in the exact same finishes as the Lunas and Towers etc, - we just don't list them on the site yet. Our new site should be ready to go live sometime next month and every finish will be listed. Additionally, we do sell Lunas as single / center speakers as well.

I would recommend giving us a call so all options can be discussed.

Thanks!
    Yeah I called earlier and made an order! Bummed I'll have to wait 2-2.5 weeks for it to come in ! Thanks!

Yeah I called earlier and made an order! Bummed I'll have to wait 2-2.5 weeks for it to come in ! Thanks!
    Thanks for getting the order in and I do apologize for the wait time. We sold through our supply of ribbons much quicker than we anticipated and there were some delays at RAAL as well, thus resulting in the current backorder
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ah thanks for the additional information!

The room is only 10x12 and there's other stuff in here too which makes the space for HT gear somewhat limited, especially full standing towers (which are a no-go). I have no doubt that I probably don't need anything that good right now, but in the future when I have the space I want to be able to bring these over without having to toss them or upgrade yet again.

From what sludgeorgre says, it seems like the Luna would be a great solution if I opt for RAAL, since I can move those to surround duty easily in the future if I upgrade (and while the HMT would be punted, those are pretty cheap so I wouldn't feel as bad, or if by then I go for some Atmos solution or whatever I can use those as the additional speakers).

But if only music will really bring out their potential, it might be a waste in my situation. I will say this actually, I do listen to music but never with my speakers (which suck). Instead I use headphones because I don't want to bother neighbors, and my headphones are fairly decent including several Sennheisers, Shure SE535, Westone W40, and Hifiman HE-400i. But if the RAALs will make a marked difference at lower volumes (low enough that my neighbor, who shares the party wall with my room, won't complain again) then like you said I might change my listening habits haha. But then the comparison would be with those headphones, and not a pos speaker system.

So after some deliberation with you guys I think I would either go Luna LR S2 C w/ HMT-200s (and have a great upgrade path to towers in the future) or opt for the 340s or 170s LCR w/ HMT surrounds. This would be cheaper by a significant margin, and perhaps perfectly fine for my applications, but the upgrade path is not great. And like sludgeogre says, the S2s really do look great. Hrm decisions decisions... thanks for all the advice so far, it has at least narrowed down my options!
    I never used to listen to music after the wife went to bed because i couldn't turn my old speakers up loud enough for them to sound good without it bothering her. Now that I have sierra towers with Raal even low volume listening is very dynamic full and doesn't feel like it is lacking anything. I think you will be very happy with your purchase, these are fantastic speakers congrats!
    MacMini -> Emotiva XMC-1 -> Emotiva SA-250 -> RAAL Towers / SVS SB13-U