Thread: Sierra 1 for near field / studio use?

Default Sierra 1 for near field / studio use?

I have the original Sierra 1s sitting around. They were replaced years ago with the Towers. I've considered putting the Sierra 1s in my office recently. I would use them for light mixing and casual listening. The room is not that large (12'x15'). Has anyone used the Sierra 1s in such an application? Also, I would not have a ton of room between the rear of the speakers and the wall. Am I better off buying a pair of studio monitors? If you have been able to make it work with the Sierra 1s, what amp/receiver have you used to drive them? This would be music 2.0 only application.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sierra 1 for near field / studio use?

I use my Sierra 2's near field quite often. I auditioned the 1's and in my opinion the key difference is the RAAL tweeter. I actually thought the 1's had a tad bit more bass. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute using the 1's in a near field application.
    I don't think you need a ton of room behind them, and would think the neutral nature of the speakers would lend themselves well to a studio application. Frankly, if I could figure out how to use my 2's for both listening and with my ProTools rig I would do it in a heartbeat. I think you'd be very hard pressed to find studio monitors that would come anywhere near the Sierras for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by malaplace View Post
    I have the original Sierra 1s sitting around. They were replaced years ago with the Towers. I've considered putting the Sierra 1s in my office recently. I would use them for light mixing and casual listening. The room is not that large (12'x15'). Has anyone used the Sierra 1s in such an application? Also, I would not have a ton of room between the rear of the speakers and the wall. Am I better off buying a pair of studio monitors? If you have been able to make it work with the Sierra 1s, what amp/receiver have you used to drive them? This would be music 2.0 only application.

Thanks!
    MP,

I think your plans for a 2.0 "listening room" using the Sierra 1's should work Very Well! I have my Sierra 1 NrT's in a much smaller dedicated\intimate music room in a 2.1 arrangement and their holographic 3D presentation is amazing! You can read my review HERE with my included electronics in my sig!

However, after all the dust settles with their new web developments and new sales, I'll talk with Dave about substituting the new "LUNAS" in this small 90sf listening environment for possible even better imaging, soundstage presentation and midrange presence!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by malaplace View Post

Thanks!
    You might try the q plugs if the desktop placement boosts the bass too much
    Nate

Resurrecting this thread has had a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) today regarding studio use of my Sierra 2's.
    I run ALAC files from my iMac through my rig to listen to my Sierra 2's. The space also serves as a studio for demo and voice over recording. I used to mix on Studio Monitors, but switched to headphones a while back.
    Since I use the same computer for recording, I opened Pro Tools and pulled up some files previously mixed on a set of Yamaha Studio Monitors, then ran through my normal route.
    Wow ... just wow! The .ptx (ProTools) files play as easily as normal audio files, and I'm hearing things in the previous mix that I never heard before.
    Thrilled to have this figured out, though like in the Wizard of Oz, the answer was there all along.
    Last edited by Jaybeez; 02-17-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Resurrecting this thread has had a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) today regarding studio use of my Sierra 2's.
    I run ALAC files from my iMac through my rig to listen to my Sierra 2's. The space also serves as a studio for demo and voice over recording. I used to mix on Studio Monitors, but switched to headphones a while back.
    Since I use the same computer for recording, I opened Pro Tools and pulled up some files previously mixed on a set of Yamaha Studio Monitors, then ran through my normal route.
    Wow ... just wow! The .ptx (ProTools) files play as easily as normal audio files, and I'm hearing things in the previous mix that I never heard before.
    Thrilled to have this figured out, though like in the Wizard of Oz, the answer was there all along.
    Nice! It's been like decades since I used ProTools, I miss it....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Nice! It's been like decades since I used ProTools, I miss it....
    You're a glutton for punishment. Powerful ... but very finicky!