Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Luna specifications and measurements

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    455

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    What is the distance between the surround speakers and the main listening position? Basically, you will want to try and keep the vertical listening angle at 15 degs or less.
    If I sit in the middle of the couch, the front of the speaker will be about 7ft away. Typical seat is 5ft from one side and 9ft to the other. I think if I can gap the top of the speaker about an inch, then I won't have too much angle...
    Nate

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,854

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    You mentioned above that the wider dispersion of the Luna is not big enough to be noticeable over the Sierra 2, in most cases. Do you find that the faster transient response in the Luna is also something that is also not really audible compared with the Sierra 2?
    I have spent a ton of time comparing the Luna with the Sierra-2, using an 80Hz crossover with a sub. They sound very very close, sometimes indistinguishable - but I can't quite put my finger on the differences. There is a sweetness to the mids of the Luna that I really enjoy - it very well may be due to the lower mass woofer or it could also be due to the slight differences in frequency response and dispersion between the two - my experience tells me it is a combination of things. What surprises me most is that I really enjoy listening to them full range without a subwoofer - the lack of deep bass causes one to focus more on the mids, which I find to be exceptional and just so musical - and there is often surprising bass, thus causing a bit of a surprise when looking at the size of these speakers.

    As I have mentioned - these are just extremely FUN speakers

    Perhaps Curtis, Mike or Mitch will also add some comments.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,854

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    If I sit in the middle of the couch, the front of the speaker will be about 7ft away. Typical seat is 5ft from one side and 9ft to the other. I think if I can gap the top of the speaker about an inch, then I won't have too much angle...
    Hi Nate,

    At 7 ft distance, I recommend keeping the speakers within +/- 15" of ear level. Assuming your ear-level is around 38" while seated (typical) - mounting them at a height of 53" off the floor or less is ideal (this keeps them within a 10 degree vertical off-axis angle). You can go as high as 60" to keep them within 15 degrees vertical, but for absolute best performance - 10 degs or less is best.

    Of course, this is for flush mounting, the vertical listening angle changes if you use a bracket and angle them downwards - thus opening up many more options.

    formula to calculate this is: tan(desired vertical angle) = x / distance to the speaker.

    Solving for x gives you:

    x= 84" (distance to the speaker) x tan (15 degs)

    x (height above or below ear) = 84" x .2679 = 22.5"
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,260

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Perhaps Curtis, Mike or Mitch will also add some comments.
    Well, for me, I thought they sounded like Sierra-2's with less bass extension.
    I think the Sierra 1's and 2's sound like a larger speaker, so the Lunas really surprised me with their sound in that regard, and their output.
    -curtis

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    My father in law ordered a pair of Luna's a while back so I'm looking toward to checking them out soon! Well done Dave and crew, they sound like quite the lil speaker😀

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    455

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Thanks Dave for the calculation info. That's handy to keep in mind.
    What about wall mounting the Lunas upside down? The measurements from above look a little smoother than from below. I'm thinking since I'm going to place these above ear level, I might want the tweeters closer and more in line with my ears
    Nate

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Based on our audition, I agree with Curtis. Very similar to the Sierra-2 with a bit less bass. The smaller, lighter woofer on the Luna, might give it a very slight advantage in the mid-range but I think it would be difficult to hear without side by side comparison in a well treated room.

    I've already got a pair of Sierra-2 for surrounds so I won't need the Lunas right now. But I could see using them for a separate set up in the bedroom or office. I think they would probably sound amazing for a desk setup.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,854

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Thanks Dave for the calculation info. That's handy to keep in mind.
    What about wall mounting the Lunas upside down? The measurements from above look a little smoother than from below. I'm thinking since I'm going to place these above ear level, I might want the tweeters closer and more in line with my ears
    If the Luna's will be above ear level, mounting upside down is an excellent option.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Nate,

    At 7 ft distance, I recommend keeping the speakers within +/- 15" of ear level. Assuming your ear-level is around 38" while seated (typical) - mounting them at a height of 53" off the floor or less is ideal (this keeps them within a 10 degree vertical off-axis angle). You can go as high as 60" to keep them within 15 degrees vertical, but for absolute best performance - 10 degs or less is best.

    Of course, this is for flush mounting, the vertical listening angle changes if you use a bracket and angle them downwards - thus opening up many more options.

    formula to calculate this is: tan(desired vertical angle) = x / distance to the speaker.

    Solving for x gives you:

    x= 84" (distance to the speaker) x tan (15 degs)

    x (height above or below ear) = 84" x .2679 = 22.5"
    Is that 53" to the top of the speaker? Or middle or bottom of the speaker?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,854

    Default Re: Luna specifications and measurements

    Quote Originally Posted by chomdh View Post
    Is that 53" to the top of the speaker? Or middle or bottom of the speaker?
    I should have been clearer -- that 53" height is to the middle of the ribbon tweeter.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •